1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound what so ever in Windows XP.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Grogsky, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grogsky

Grogsky Thread Starter

Roughly an hour or two ago I booted my computer onto the Windows XP partition of my Hard-drive and Heard the familiar Start up noise thingy for Windows XP. I thought I would play a little Team Fortress 2 and started Steam and TF2. Once in the game I noticed that I wasn't hearing any of the usual menu music of Sound effects. I decided to quit out of the game and restart my computer, there was no log-off/shut down sound thingy. I restarted and re-booted into Windows XP and this time there was not Start up tone either. There was still no sound in anything in Windows.

I've checked and double checked all of the sound control panel and I've checked my speakers and everything is the same as it was when I was getting sound.

You can look at my Hardware, I've put it in my signature if that's any help. I don't know how to find all the other system information so if you need me to show you something else tell me what it is you're looking for and how to find it. :)

2. zabusant

zabusant

Hi!

Have a look in the device manager (Control panel>system>hardware>device manager). Are there any yellow question/exclamation-marks?

3. Grogsky

Grogsky Thread Starter

Nope. :(

4. zabusant

zabusant

I suggest you reinstall your sound card drivers. What kind of PC is it, prebuilt by chance? If so, the make and model would help. Or even better - the model of your sound card (you can find the name in Start>Run... dxdiag, in the sound(audio) tab). Oh, and while you're there you can hit the "test DirectSound" button.:)

5. Grogsky

Grogsky Thread Starter

As I said before, I've got all my hardware, model and OS information in my signature.

It's a Mac! I used boot camp to partition my hard-drive and installed Windows XP. My computer doesn't have a physical sound card when I used boot camp it installed drivers that link windows to the DSP chips on the mother board to quote verbatim from a member on the apple support forum.

6. zabusant

zabusant

Ohhh, sorry:eek: - I assumed those were two computers. Unfortnatelly I have no real experience with Mac's, so I won't be of much help. Perhaps it would be a good idea to also post in the Mac forum (here), although the OS is Windows XP. Good luck!(y):)

7. fd10801

fd10801

I used that diagdx -- I have a similar problem -- and I got no sound... My microphone is showing lights in the mixer ; I'm getting input numbers in WinAmp. But No Sound!
    I am running Windows XP on X-Technology custom built ..
    I replaced the HDD -- they reloaded XP, I have downloaded the drivers for Creative SB Auidigy 2Z

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice