1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LUIS39, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+, x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1983 Mb
    Graphics Card: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 33584 MB, Free - 4099 MB; D: Total - 4561 MB, Free - 354 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., Kelut
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Previously in order to get my sound back, I had to reposition the audio cable by pulling about and 1/8” away from the output. Now repositioning does not work. I have the built-in speakers on the monitor so I tested the speakers by trying a new audio cable and nothing. I used a new audio cable and also tried with brand new wireless headphones and nothing. (I also tested the headphones with a brand new turntable and the music was superb.)

So it seems that it is something internal with the computer as I have not tampered with any settings.

What else can I do?
    :)
    Thanks.

After reading the MS Knowledge Base articles online, I received an email from MS with a Hotfix download link but with the following WARNING: This hotfix has not undergone full testing. Therefore, it is intended only for systems or computers that are experiencing the exact problem that is described in the one or more Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that are listed in "KB Article Numbers" field in the table at the end of this e-mail message. If you are not sure whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, we encourage you to wait for the next service pack release. The service pack will include a fully tested version of this fix. We understand that it can be difficult to determine whether any compatibility or installation issues are associated with a hotfix. If you want confirmation that this hotfix addresses your specific problem, or if you want to confirm whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, support professionals in Customer Support Services can help you with that. For information about how to contact support, copy the following link and then paste it into your Web browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

Is this going to be any help or is it a sales pitch?

2. EpicNetworkGroup

EpicNetworkGroup

Hi Luis39,

Well being that you've had to "wiggle" the cable to get your audio to work is indicative an existing problem and now that it's cut out all-together isn't super surprising. You wouldn't happen to have another audio out port on the front of the computer? Most computers now will have the audio integrated on to the motherboard rather than having a seperate sound card. Things I'd try:

1. Check for another audio out port on the front of your tower, see if that one works.
    2. Download the latest and greatest drivers (probably not the issue but worth a shot)
    3. You can grab a cheap PCI audio card and install it (make sure you disable the on-board audio)

Hope that helps...

Mike

3. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

Tried steps 1 n 2 to no avail, as to buying an audio card, I will look into that tomorrow.

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!