1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tolkin, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tolkin

Tolkin Thread Starter

hey guy's and girl's,
    I have this fancy speakers from Alteck and I can't get any sound from them. I don't even now where to beguine to look for this problem. When I first got this system I had problems conecting them to my computer, I got a new sufisticated sound card. And I wasn't the only one having problems with it at the time when they where new. since then I have whiped the hard drive once and reinstalled that I thought everything, but no I don't have sound.
    anything anybody???

2. Rockn

Rockn

U should never WHIP your computer....that's abuse. Anyway, if you have wiped everything out and reinstalled Windoze you probably also need to reinstall the drivers for your sound card. Right click on My Computer and select properties. Go to device manager (assuming you are running Win9X) and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks next to your Sound, Video and game controllers group. If there are you need to install the correct driver or you have a resource conflict with another device. What are the make and model of the sound card and Speakers??

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Could you give us some details on your system?
    What manufacturer, model number?
    What motherboard (if you know)?
    What sound card?
    What version of Windows?
    What model Altech speaker system?

Do you get any sound from the PC's internal speaker? beeps at startup, etc.

Does the onboard sound work with other speakers/headphones?

4. Tolkin

Tolkin Thread Starter

here is some more info.
    I have no confligt's in the sound game option in device manager, however I do have a conflight under "other devices" in there I have "PCI Input Controller & PCI Multimedia Audio Device"
    Now I have no idea what these two thing's are, could possibly be related to 1394 firewire card I install sometime ago.
    under Sound, Video & Game controler I have the fallowing two item's. "SoundMax Integreted Digital audio" & Wave device for Voice modem"
    the properties for SoundMax is as fallows:
    Driver: C:\windows\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys
    c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxp (ntkern.vsp)
    c:\windows\system\mmdevldr.vxd
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\sensupgd.sys
    __
    provider analog devices,Inc

then when I go to update Driver I get that the best driver for this device is already installed at this location
    c:\windows\inf\other\smwdm.inf

proberties for Wave device is as fallows:
    C:\windows\system\serwave.vxd
    C:\windows\system\mmdevldr.vxd
    ____
    provider Microsoft

other information
    I have a winME Box by Dell. it's demension 8000
    Soundcard is "soundblaster Audigy SB 1394"
    model # SB0090
    The mother bord I don't know. I opened up the comp. and saw these thing's on the motherbord " E210882" "DELL REV.A00"
    dell model HP-P2507F3P

the speakars are Altech ADA-880

if there is any other info I can provide please let me know

thank you guy's for your help

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

This would be the sound card, and that would mean you don't have the correct drivers installed. Do you have a driver cd that came with the computer and/or sound card? If not, you can probably download them from the Dell website........

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

OK, so from what I see, this is your situation.

You have a SoundMax integrated chip built into your system and the drivers are installed.

You also have a SoundBlaster Audigy card physically installed. Did you install the drivers for this card? Make sure you have the latest one from http://www.americas.creative.com/support for Windows Me.

I assume you have the speakers plugged in correctly into the Audigy card.

1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds & Multimedia
    2. Click on the Audio tab at the top.
    3. Make sure that under Sound Playback you have SB Audigy selected.
    4. Click on the Volume button for Sound Playback and make sure none of the Mute buttons are checked. Close the window by clicking on X.
    5. Click on Advanced in the Sound Playback and select your speaker configuration. hit OK when done

Repeat 1-5 for the Sound Recording and MIDI Music sections if you are going to use those functions.

Then hit OK at the bottom of the Sounds and Multimedia window.

Do a complete shutdown, then startup again.

Make sure the speakers are on.

Try playing some music.

-----
    If you still don't get any sound, try disabling the SoundMax Digital Audio in Device Manager. Find it under Sounds, right click, disable.

Hope that works, :)

7. donovan4565

donovan4565

Hello, I am new here and I am trying to find the sound drivers I need for my built in sound card. I have an HP pavilion 6630. Talking with HP has been a waste of time. There site has no info I can use and emailing them gets me no where fast. I need a sound driver for my PC. its crystal Audio and the Crystal semiconductor site is also worthless. Tried that too. Any suggestions or ideas of what I shall do next?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice