1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by silverb02, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverb02

silverb02 Thread Starter

Hi, So running Windows 7 and suddenly I have no sound. The speaker icon in the corner has a "X" next to it and when I click that it says "the peripheral does not appear to be plugged in"

I have removed the cable at both ends and replaced it and also bought a new cable but still it says the same thing.

Please what can I do? It's driving me crazy! Thanks.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Is the sound card recognized in Device manager?
    1. Click the Start orb then click Control Panel.

2. Up near the top right, change the View by to "Small icons.

3. Click Sound and a new window will open up.

4. Click on the "Playback" tab, right-click in the window and select Show Disabled Devices then again to select Show Disconnected Devices.

5. If the Speaker is listed there, right-click it and select Enable.

6. Then click the speaker to highlight it and then click on the "Set Default".

7. Reboot, test, then let us know what you've found out ...

3. silverb02

silverb02 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I did as you said and the speaker was not listed there. What was listed there was: Digital Audio [S/PDIF] and I selected Enable for that then Set Default and rebooted and still no sound. Also, the "X" on the speaker sign has now disappeared. Thanks

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

What is the make and model number of the computer?

5. silverb02

silverb02 Thread Starter

It is Intel Inside, Core i5.

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

No, no. That's just a sticker advertising the fact that it has an Intel Core i5 CPU (central processing unit) inside the computer.

Download, install and run Speccy. Click File > Publish Snapshot > Yes > Copy to Clipboard and then paste in the URL you just copied into a Reply to this thread.

7. silverb02

silverb02 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I tried to install Speccy but it came up with the message " Error launching installer". I have however found this information, hope it helps and sorry for being an idiot!

processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) 15-2500 CPU @3.30GHz 3.60GHz
    System type: 64-bit Operating system
    Product ID: 00426-104-5228486-85546

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Ok. Let's try something else then:

1. Highlight the entire following single-line command inside the Code box,
      Code:
      cmd /c if exist %temp%\0 del %temp%\0&dxdiag /dontskip /whql:off /64bit /t %temp%\0.&notepad %temp%\0
      then press [Ctrl][C] to copy it into memory on your computer.

2. Now press [WindowsLogoKey][R] to open Run, press [Ctrl][V] to paste in what you copied above, and then press [Enter].

3. In a couiple seconds or so a Notepad window will open. Click once anywhere inside that window, press [Ctrl][A] to highlight everything, then Ctrl][C] to copy into memory on your computer.

4. Now come back to this thread, click once anywhere inside the "Write your reply ..." box at the bottom of the page, then press [Ctrl][V] to paste in what you copied from Notepad.

5. Add any other comments you like, then click the "Post Reply" button.

6. That's it. You can now close Notepad, which will also close the CMD prompt window.

9. silverb02

silverb02 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your patient and clear instructions. I followed them all exactly but after completing number 2 on the list, a Notepad window does not open. Thanks.

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Hmmm... Let's try this then:
    1. Click the Start orb and then Control Panel

2. In the search box up at the top right, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting

3. Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio playback

4. Click the Advanced link, the Next button and cross your fingers

Let us know what happens ...

11. silverb02

silverb02 Thread Starter

I am away for a few days, will let you know if that works. Thanks so much for trying to help me for finding a solution.

12. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

13. silverb02

silverb02 Thread Starter

Ahhh I give up! After following your instructions it says" The peripheral does not appear to be plugged in. Check the connection"

It IS plugged in because, as I said before, I have tried two different cables for it. Wondering if the actual connection point is faulty?

14. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

It could be. A few years ago a Windows 7 computer came in with a similar complaint: no sound. Come to find out the very tip end of a speaker/headphone cable had come off and was lodged all the down in the bottom of the port. Had to remove the motherboard and disassemble one side of the metal casing over the port in order to use a paperclip to pry the piece up and out of there. Reassembled and it worked.

15. silverb02

silverb02 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for trying anyway.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice