1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IKEY, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IKEY

IKEY Thread Starter

Although my computer "chirps" when I use the Caps Lock key to change from lower case to caps and vice versa -- I have no other sound at all -- not on booting up, trying to play CDs, trying to play music from music sites, not announding IMs, or mail, etc. I used Norton Utililities WinDoc to try to find and clear the problem to no avail. I still have no sound. Any idea what might be wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You probably need to install the correct drivers for the soundcard. But lets check the easiest thing first. Go to the back of your computer and make sure the speakers are plugged in and plugged into the right jack(it should be label but very hard to see). Also try another set of speakers or headphones. Then go to the Control Panel and check the the Soundcard is selected and not muted in Volume Control in Multimedia.

Once thats checked, open up your Control Panel, go to System and check Device Manager. Is there a soundcard listed? Is there anything with an error? Any unknown devices or PCI Multimedia devices? If there's any with errors try removing those devices and reboot. If this fails we'll need to know what version of windows you have and what soundcard/motherboard/computer you have.

3. mobo

mobo

This program will give the information on the sound card , motherboard and chipset so post those here.

4. IKEY

IKEY Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay! Suggested remedies didn't work, but I found the solution in my manual (!) -- which suggested removing the drivers and rebooting the computer so that Windows would automatically restore them. It worked. Thank you for your help and suggestions, though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice