1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by VERNERSANCR, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VERNERSANCR

VERNERSANCR Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP
    I think that the sound card is built into the main board
    The main board is ESC Elitegroup P4
    Window Media will not play. It suggests no sound device , being used by another application or not functioning properly
    In sound and audio devices in control panel Volume tab shows "no audio device "
    In the audio tab it shows "no devices" in the sound play back and sound recording windows
    In the voice tab its shows "no devices" voice pay back and voice recording
    In the hardware tab no mixing devise is shown
    Devices that are shown are
    HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B
    MPU-401 Compaatible MIDI devices
    Standard game ports
    Via ACÂ’97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Audio Codecs
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Video Codecs
    Media control devices
    The computer indicate that all are working properly

When I play a DVD there is no volume, I cannot adjust the volume and the volume indicates 0

When I try to access the volume control from the entertainment window of accessories, I get the message no active mixer available

I can here music through the computer speaker when I play the radio attached to the input of the computer

What I need to know is if this a hardware or soft ware problem

If it is a hardware problem, can I just install a new sound card ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

I have the same motherboard as you so you have onboard sound made possible by the ac 97 codec. I'm assuming you installed the motherboard drivers so it should be working but just to be sure, when you go into device manager and then sound,video and game controllers do you see the entry like in the pic I attached?

Attached Files:

3. JPLamb

JPLamb

if you go to device manager and look down the list for sound card or something like see is it has got a ? or ! next to it. if it has then right click and press update driver this will need to go on the net. did you get any disks with the pc, if yes look for a disk that has anything to do with sound on it and try installing it.

good luck

4. VERNERSANCR

there are no ? or ! and all driver have been installed The sytem has been working fine for over a year. I have a screen like the one you attached and i hacwe attached it

Attached Files:

• tsg.JPG
      tsg.JPG
      File size:
      134.1 KB
      Views:
  5. JPLamb

JPLamb

is the Music that you are trying to play on the hard disk or on a cd. because if they are on cd then the sound cable from the Cd drive may have come loose. have you moved your pc or knocked it hard at all since the sound went.

good luck

6. VERNERSANCR

The music is on the hard drive. The computer shows that no devices are present. Check 1st post for the details. To much to type again

7. JPLamb

JPLamb

did you get any driver disks with the pc when you bourght it. do you know what type/make of mother board it is. if you opened the pc would you know if the sound card was in built to the mother board. if it is a seperate sound card then it may be faulty. it may also be faluty on the mother board. how old is the pc?

8. VERNERSANCR

maritimesea posted "I have the same motherboard as you so you have onboard sound made possible by the ac 97 codec"

ther computer is about 18 month old

if it is the on board card, can I just install a separate card and driver ?

9. JPLamb

JPLamb

you could try installind a new card + driver but i am not sure if it would confuse the pc. i do not think it would but do not hold me responseble. when you look in device manager do you see Ac'97 audio controler as above in maritimesea's message. if you do not you can type 'AC'97 codec' in to google and try to download the driver. what operating system do you have on you pc.

10. VERNERSANCR

It would appear that the problem was that the onboard sound card failed. I installeda new card and all ias well

thats for the support (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!