No sound!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Moses77

Due to a virus, I had to reformat my hard drive yesterday. Everything is working perfectly except that there is NO sound on my PC. Also, when I look in Device Manager it shows that there is a new unknown device and an unknown PCI device.

I downloaded everest and got the following information for my motherboard and sound card

Asus PTGD1-LA (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)

Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1] PCI

I'm using Windows XP

I'm guessing I need drivers of some sort, but I haven't found anything yet.

Please help!

Moses77 said:
Due to a virus, I had to reformat my hard drive yesterday. Everything is working perfectly except that there is NO sound on my PC. Also, when I look in Device Manager it shows that there is a new unknown device and an unknown PCI device.

I downloaded everest and got the following information for my motherboard and sound card

Asus PTGD1-LA (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)

Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1] PCI

I'm using Windows XP

I'm guessing I need drivers of some sort, but I haven't found anything yet.

Please help!
Yeah what the other guy said is the most common thing generally when you reformat a lot of people forget simple drivers to start and they should be the first things you load after the computer is back. Generally depending on your company purchased by or if the sound is onboard or a card you have drivers with your computer. I know that Fujitsu and Sony on their repair discs put their drivers on the same disc as the OS so it saves some time. Dell gives you 500 disks for every little thing and drivers for Dell are a pain to go through and get back. But generally for simple things it goes like:

1. Chipset(board)
2. Graphics
3. Sound
4. Mouse and external devices(lol these should already be working though)
5. NIC(Network Interface Card) or modem
5. 3rd party hardware(GPU's, soundcard's, PCI card hardware)

You can also see very easily on XP OS's what is missing by your device manager in many cases: Start>Right Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager.

Red x's or yellow triangles are not good, but you may click in the field that is bad and generally you'll have a clear indication if your driver is there or not. I have had problem with HP drivers in the past with my printers functioning properly.(see dreaded Win 32 error message thread I made that no one can answer)

Moses77

Superb! That's sorted the problem out completely! thanks to both of you for taking the time to help.

Thanks a lot!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online