No Sound

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

def&dum

Can someone help, I have no sound at all, and am fairly dum in these things (hence, def&dum). I have a Packard Bell multi-media model 730 desktop, 266 mhz. Everything worked fine and then for no apparant reason, I lost all sound. I get nothing when I plug headphones into the back of the tower either. The speakers are hooked up right. One thing, don't know if it is anything, but.... when I go to control panel/multimedia/devices, there are two red arrows next to audio compression codecs and video compression codecs, and beside everything when I click on the + sign on each. I see no red arrows by anything else so I figured maybe this tells you something.

Any help would be appreciated, as my kids are driving me nuts, lol, thanks....

Hi,

Go to sound in control panel and cancel sounds on all event.
Reboot the computer and try playing any sound.

Doing this to rule out the corrupt win wave files. Saving no sound as scheme is useful when you trouble shoot a sound problem.

TJ

def&dum

I cancelled sound in all events, rebooted and tried to play a sound....nothing

Go to control panel\system device manager, check for conflict under sound device.

I hope you will see some conflict so that we can fix.

Did you or your family do things like moving the computer, installed software, downloaded something from the web...

TJ

def&dum

Nothing in device manager looks wrong, telephone support suggested that my motherboard needs replaced, is this possible?
Everyone here says they didn't install, download or anything else that might have afffected it.
When I go to multi-media, I now don't find my speakers listed in the preferred devices list, so I checked use any available device. My speakers are Labtec USB digital speakers, all the files and drivers appear in device manager but Labtec USB audio doesn't appear in preferred devices, and I know it did before. I have unplugged the speakers and rebooted to reinstall the speakers and they power up and I get a static noise when first turned on, and I get no sound when I plug headphones into the back of the tower. I don't think it's my speakers, but what do I know? I appreciate the help and your time, thanks.

Okay...No luck there.

Sorry to tell you this but it could be anything including mother board.

Let me go back to the basics. Is your sound on board or on expansion slot?

If it's on board, exchanging the MOBO is the easiest and safest way for support tech.(because they don't pay for the repair and they don't want you keep calling them. It's not under warranty, is it?)

Can you borrow a sound card from someone? Disable on board sound and put the card in. If sound works that way, you have bad on board sound.

Here, you can get some idea for the prices of sound cards,
http://www.pricewatch.com/mainb.htm

TJ

def&dum

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a sound card to borrow, It is on warranty, but they refuse to send someone out since they think it's the onboard sound and would cost more than the unit is worth, so they're trying to locate a comparable unit to replace it.

If they're gonna replace MOBO under warranty, that's better since something else might be wrong with MOBO other than onboard sound.

Good Luck,

TJ

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online