1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willowyang, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willowyang

willowyang Thread Starter

I just exchanged my cd rom drive into an internal cd rewritable drive. Now, i can run software and others are normal except that it has no sound whatsoever when playing audio cd. On the volume control, no mute and no any yellow indicator on system device manager.

Please help help, urgent! Thank u very much.

ps. for Win 98

2. BEL6772

BEL6772

My first guess is that your CD Audio cable didn't get hooked up properly. Did you do the replacement or did you have someone else do it?

If you did it, you should remember that there were three things plugged into your old CD-ROM. One was for power (four wires in a large white connector) one was for data (looks kinda like a seatbelt) and the last one was for CD Audio (there are a few different appearances around. Possibly two or four conductors wrapped into a single wire with a flat black plug). If that wire is not connected to your new CD-RW drive and to your sound card (or MoBo in the case of integrated sound) that could explain your trouble.

Brian

3. willowyang

willowyang Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.

Just like you said, there are there things connect with the cd rom, I didn't forget plug the audio cable into my new cd rom. any other suggestion?

4. BEL6772

BEL6772

Another possibility is that the CD Audio pinout is different on the new drive. If your old drive was RGLG, for example and your new drive is RGGL, plugging the same connector in would send the signals to the wrong pins on the sound card. It has been a while since I've seen any drives with a RGLG pinout, but it's possible ...

Did your new CD-RW drive come with its own CD Audio cable? If so, you might try removing the old cable and using the new one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice