1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ginnywinnieb, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ginnywinnieb

ginnywinnieb Thread Starter

Hi! I have a satellite pro 410cdt(old I know), and for some reason the sound on it quit. I have reinstalled the drivers and gone to toshiba and tried things on their forums. The sound driver on this system is es688 direct sound driver. There are not even system beeps being heard.
    Help! Christmas present for someone.

2. deuce

deuce

It just went out for absolutely no reason? How long ago? Have you tried installing the latest drivers? Weird... you should still be getting POST beeps when you boot... thouse don't come from the sound card or audio chipset. What is status of the device in device manager?

3. ginnywinnieb

Hi! It says it is working fine. It did just quit. No beeps or anything. I am stumped. Any ideas

4. deuce

deuce

Well I think you got me stumped to... for now at least. Anybody have any ideas? I'll sleep on it and see if I can think of anything. Is this a desktop? Did you make sure the sound card was seated properly? No PCI bridge errors or anything? Have you installed new hardware lately? Did you check your IRQs? Maybe the sound card's one was stolen... however you should still be getting POST beeps... that is the part that has me stumped.

5. ginnywinnieb

This is a laptop. Toshiba 410cdt. I have tried everything that I can think of. I have tried my darndest to open it up to see if maybe the sound card had slipped, but to no avail.
    I do appreciate your help.

6. deuce

deuce

Hummm... I figured it was a laptop. Well on a laptop the sound is onboard so can't come loose. Also no way to replace it if you tried. (I don't think so at least) Maybe because this is a laptop that is way the POST beeps are coming out of (or lack there of) the sound card. I don't work with laptops much so I couldn't tell you. Did you check your IRQs?

7. ginnywinnieb

Excuse my ignorance.............what are irq's

8. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

That's a pretty old laptop. Components in laptops generally do not last as long as components in desktops. Laptops are subject to far more physical stress. It's highly likely that the sound simply died, and you can't replace the chip or add a card.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi ginny,

Can you open the sound recorder (programs, accessories, entertainment, sound recorder) and find a wave file and attempt to play it? What happens? Error message or does the bar appear to move across and play the file?

Have you opened the volume control icon in the lower right hand corner to see if nothing is muted and the volume levels are up?

Another thought, is there a slider bar (or other button) for the volume control on the laptop itself?

10. Randy48

Randy48

Have you tried going into Control Panel/System/Device Manager and removing the soundcard from the setup? If not, give it a try and reboot and if the machine doesnot "find new hardware" as it's coming up, go to add new hardware and reload the drivers. If this doesn't work, chances are your sound chip has "died"

11. ginnywinnieb

I just did what you suggested and it found new hardware, but I still cannot hear any sound. What now?

12. ~Candy~

Ginny, just wanted to be sure you saw my posting above Randy's.....

13. ginnywinnieb

I tried your idea too. Nothing.

14. ~Candy~

Alrighty, I hate to press on........but, can we clarify "nothing?"

Something must happen when you open the sound recorder, attempt to play a wave file.....

15. ginnywinnieb

I tried to play the wave file and it went across the screen like it was playing it, but again...............................NOTHING!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice