1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MRHutchinson, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MRHutchinson

MRHutchinson Thread Starter

A few days ago, I uninstalled and reinstalled Windows 98 on my IM computer. After installation, I had to reinstall my modem drivers, which took me forever to get back.
    Well, ever since then, I haven't had any sound. When I check the device drivers it reports that I have no problems with my sound card. When I check my multimedia, it all of the optins are grayed out and I cannot check anything. Also the check box indicates that the sound card should be in my system tray but itsn't.

I would appreciate any help that you may give me. I am in need and am fruststrated. Please help me.

2. beach51

beach51

Hi Mr hutchinson,welcome to TSG.Do you have a restoration CD that came with the computer?The drivers for your sound card will be on that.If not go back to device manager,click on the + sign next to sound,video>click on sound>click driver tab>click on update driver.See if that works.Then go back to mutimedia>put a check mark in show volume control in taskbar>click apply then ok.reboot.

let us know if this works for you.

3. MRHutchinson

I have tried the driver updates and that did not help any. I do not have a restoration disk.
    I want to try to remove the sound card drivers, but I had so much trouble with Infrared drivers being installed automatically, messing up my modem, that I'm afraid to do that. (It's a long story)

Maggie R. Hutchinson

I just finished My Computer Repair class with an A, but we didn't learn anything about this, just basically general stuff.
    If you can help me you have no idea how much in your debt I would be. I've had such a rotten time.

Sincerely
    Me me me me me me me me me me me me me

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Maggie, welcome from me as well.

Do you have any conflicts showing up in the device manager?

Maybe post your IRQ listing....

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

5. gray1017

gray1017

My suggestion is probably too simplistic, but have you tried the program that is available when you double click on the little speaker icon in your task bar? In my Windows 98 it has a bunch of vertical sliders with check boxes underneath. The main control on the far left has a check box that says "Mute all". This will need to be unchecked. The other controls will have check boxes that say "Select". You will need to set the check mark for the "Wave balance" to play Windows sounds and any other box for other functions (like CD).

6. MRHutchinson

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Infrared PnP Serial Port (*PNP0510)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Intel 82557-based Integrated Ethernet (10/100)
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 IBM V.90 PCI Data Fax Modem
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 S3 Trio64V2-DX/GX (775/785)
    11 Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

7. ~Candy~

I think what I would do is this:

Go to the control panel, add/remove programs, windows setup, multimedia....if it's checked, uncheck it, and you'll probably need to restart windows.......then go back to the same area and recheck it.....you'll probably be prompted for your windows installation cd........then test your sound.

8. MRHutchinson

I tried the suggestion you gave me, unchecking the multimedia in add/remove programs. I manually restarted because it did not ask to restart my computer. Still there was nothing. Should I try deleting the drivers and reinstalling the drivers. They should be plug and pray. shouldn't they. :confused:

9. ~Candy~

A quick question, when you said you 'unistalled windows 98' --- how did you go about doing that?

10. MRHutchinson

I used a delpart disk to format the hard drive and performed a clean installation.

11. MRHutchinson

I have found something, the sound driver details button is greyed out on the device manager, on my sound card. Could that have something to do with my problem.

Also would it hurt if I deleted the sound card driver and let it reinstall itself. would it reinstall any of the other drivers that are disabled.

Here is the image, hopefully of how it looks
    http://home.talkcity.com/HarmonyCt/maggierose/sounddriver.jpg

it will probably, hopefully come up in mspaint.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice