1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mick Parry, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mick Parry

Mick Parry Thread Starter

Chaps

I am living proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I decided to be clever and uninstall a few programmes that I do not recognise.

The last programme I uninstalled was call real tek of something similar.

Thanks to my meddling, all the sound has gone from my PC. Any idea how to get it back ?

I am in the UK

Many thanks

Mick (

2. eric996

eric996

Do you have system restore enabled? You can also download RealTek drivers from their website.

What kind of system do you have? Make/model

3. Mick Parry

Hi

Many thanks for your reply ... it is much appreciated.

I have systems restore but I cannot remember how to operate it it.

Would I be better restoring or downloading direct.

Regards

Mick

4. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Accessories>SystemTools>SystemRestore

5. eric996

eric996

Well, if you did a lot on your computer since the last restore point than it may be wiser to download the audio driver. In turn, if nothing much has changed than do the system restore to bring your PC back up to par.

If you search google for your model computer plus realtek drivers or just the word drivers, you should be able to get your standard driver back (e.g Dell latitidue 110l drivers). That's why I asked for the make/model of your computer.

6. eric996

eric996

Also, if you right-click my computer and go to manage and then to Device Manager, do you notice any yellow caution marks? If so, highlight it and on the actions menu may be an option to update the driver via internet connection or to roll back the driver. Try that as well.

7. Mick Parry

Chaps

Thank you for your suggestions.

I took the easy route and did a restore and everything is now back to normal.

So many thanks for that.

My PC works fine but takes about 5 mins to start up and I decided to get rid of a few programmes that I did not recognise.

I suppose the best approach is to delete just one at a time and run the PC for a few days and if nothing happens, then delete another and so on. I now know how to restore so I do have a fall back position.

One thing I would appreciate is your comments on some programmes I was thinking of deleting.

My system is XP and the make is Emachine model E4076.

1 Apple mobile device support

2. ATI Display driver

3. Various DivX programmes

4. IT Tunes

5. MSXML 4.0 SP2 and MSXML 6.0 Parser

6. Sonic encoders

7. VC_Vergemodule TomSI

Will removing this lot cause a problem or am I better off leaving them there.

Many thanks

Mick

8. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Before deleting/removing anything that you can not positively identify, you should Google it to find out what it is, what it does etc. I've been there just as you have. I also find that asking on the various forums to be of GREAT help.

9. nessyguin

nessyguin

To help speed up XP loading you could run msconfig . Click Start/Run and then type msconfig . Click OK or Run (cant remember the exact dialogue!) and go to Startup tab . Uncheck any entries there you dont want loading when XP loads . You'll need to keep any antivirus/security processes checked but precious little else . Any changes you make can be reversed by the same procedure so you wont be doing any damage to your system . Apply any changes then OK and exit . Restart your PC . You'll probably get a message popping up on reboot saying you have used System Configuration utility . Check the box in that message for Dont Show this message or run the utility on startup ( or something like that!) and close it .

10. Mick Parry

Chaps

Thanks for the help.

I have done the msconfig and starting is now hell of a lot faster. So many thanks for that.

Is there point in removing programmes via control panel or am I risking making trouble for myself ?

Many thanks

Mick

11. nessyguin

nessyguin

If you know for sure you dont and wont use the programs uninstalling them via Control Panel will free up a bit of space . How much or little depends on the size of the application , of course .
    From your earlier post I wouldnt remove ATI Display Driver as it is most likely driving your graphics card in the same way Realtek software was doing your sound card . Removing DivX applications might also remove codecs that are used by your preferred media player so you could end up with sound but no picture on your video files .

You can see where this is heading .... alwrmc's advice in post #8 is the way to go :)

12. Mick Parry

Chaps

Once again, thanks for taking the time to advise.

I agree that thread no 8 is the way to go. The problem is that some of the google speak is too technical for me.

The main thing is that my pc is now starting up quickly so proble solved.

Regards

Mick

13. eric996

eric996

Hi Mick --

If people have helped you solve your issue, you can go ahead and mark this thread as solved. I believe you can do it through Thread tools. But please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
    E

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!