1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Robert1, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

I have lost sound reproduction on my computer. When I go into the control panel and click on 'Sounds and audio devices,' the screen under the 'Volume' tab indicates 'No audio devices'.

Similarly, the screens for the 'Audio' and 'Voice' tabs have grayed-out messages indicating 'No playback devices' and 'No recording devices'.

It seems my computer has lost track of how to gain access to the sound device.

My machine is a laptop: a VisionBook MDG and the operating system is Windows XP.

If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Robert

2. vicks

vicks

Haves you tried going into device manager? might try that (open control pane. select system>hardware>device manger.) is there a yellow ! or ? there?? If there is right click on it. select properties. remove. immediately reboot the computer and let windows find and reinstall the audio drivers.
    let us know how it goes.
    Vicks

3. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

Thank you Vicks for coming back to me. I did as you suggested: removed the device with the yellow

question mark, and restarted. It then asked to insert the startup disc, so I did that and it installed

the 'Realtek HD Audio Manager'and then asked for a reboot. Since then my machine has abruptly shut

down three times on me after a period of about 30 seconds to a minute after inserting my password.

I get a 'Corrupted error report' when it comes back up and warns me about any recently installed items

(and lists a sound card as among the possible offenders) and also to backup my files. This occurred

only when I accessed my posting to thank you for your help. I suspect someone with access to Tech

Support Guy facilities is causing the problem in order to gain access to client's computers. I see an ad there: 'Tip: Click here to scan for System Errors and Optimize PC performance.'

I wonder if there is a connection?

But the sound is now working!

Thanks very much for your help.

Robert

4. vicks

vicks

Robert,
    Run your antivirus and malwarebytes, and super antispyware programs. I suspect that somewhere along the way you might have inadvertently clicked on one of the advertisements (I understand that the site has no control over these, The advertisers help keep the site free for us).
    I make it a practice to not click on any advertisements at any web site because this can cause problems, because of the junk they link into them.
    Let us know if the above scans help.
    Vicks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice