No sound!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dominym

I did a fresh install of XP on a PC last week and had a bit of trouble getting the drivers loaded on it. Since I didn't have the disk for the MB around, I downloaded the latest sound driver for it off the website. After loading it, though, I still had no sound, even though it said the device was working properly. I did eventually find the disk for it, but then it wouldn't let me rollback to the driver on it, saying the software already loaded was better. Even when I tried uninstalling it, I couldn't get the one from the disk on there.

How does the device manger look ? Any exclamation points on any of the devices ? Did you go in to the control panel/ sounds and audio devices and see if "mute" is deselected ? Do you have your speakers plugged in to the correct jack on the sound card (usually green) ? Are your speakers turned on and volume is up ?

Dominym

I know the speakers are plugged in, because they work fine when I boot up from the other drive. Mute isn't selected (actually, it's greyed out:confused:). I looked in device manager, there weren't any exclamation points earlier. I just uninstalled it and rebooted, and now there's this:

I tried installing the driver from the disk again, but I got the "couldn't find a better match than the software you currently have installed" message.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
When you double click on the VIA High Definition Audio, what does it report on the Driver Tab pls. Version etc.
Try this
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/VIA/VIA-HD-Audio-Codec-Driver-200.shtml
Check specification as there are a number of different versions, most drivers are here on this link.
Also check, when driver installed, on Control Panel, Sounds and Audio, ensure device is listed as default device.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online