1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjbyyz, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Have one further problem - on-going for years - and that is I cannot get a squeak out of this particular PC. It has a built in sound system on the motherboard and no matter what I try, it says I have a problem.
    One thing I narrowed it down to, I think, is that possibly the BIOS needs to be configured. But HOW?
    Does this sound right, and if so, how do I go about doing that?

mjbyyz(John B) - 100429-01:21EDT

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Go to device Manager and look for the sound card.
    Is it shown with drivers installed?
    or
    Is it shown with a yellow exclamation mark and no drivers?
    or
    Is it shown as an Unknown Device with a yellow exclamation mark?

3. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Dave:
    Actually, all the 'Sound, video and game controllers' items are apparently OK.

But under Other Devices, yes, there is a yellow question mark plus an exclamation mark - also yellow (nothing red) against the only thing listed there - 'Multimedia AUDIO Controller'.
    And yes, no Drivers are installed (Code 28) when you click on Properties.
    Everything else in Device Manager seems to be OK.

Presumably I have to locate the CD that has the drivers on it - or possibly download them?
    But as stated in the other post, first I have to turn on this device in BIOS somehow.
    [Lots of questions - sorry!]

And now I'm fielding this from the errant computer while the other one upstairs is also displaying my e-mail - hope it works OK!

mjbyyz(John B) - 100429-22:59EDT

4. DaveBurnett

If it wasn't turned on it the BIOS Windows wouldn't see it to complain about it in device manager.
    Right click on it in device manager. Select Properties then the details tab then Hardware IDs from the drop down.
    Copy (as in copy paste) the top/longest string with PCI\VEN etc and paste into your next post.

5. squall_01

squall_01

It most certainly would, you can install drivers out to things like that if you bought a seperate sound card to the on board but it will probably config it to use the card. It seems that your not real IT Tech I wouldnt bother checking the BIOS till your sure it doesnt work with the driver. There is alot of things that can be changed that could prevent it from not booting if you dont know what your doing. Also, make sure that the speakers are connected to the right jack

6. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Hi again, Dave (and squall):
    Quote - "If it wasn't turned on it the BIOS Windows wouldn't see it to complain about it in device manager.
    Right click on it in device manager. Select Properties then the details tab then Hardware IDs from the drop down.
    Copy (as in copy paste) the top/longest string with PCI\VEN etc and paste into your next post."

OK, this is the string (it didn't copy, so I carefully did it the long way!) -

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_1615174B&REV_02\3&13C0B0C5&0&FD

Phew! Not only copying that longhand, but having a NA keyboard but using UK configuration, I had to revert to NA to find the backslash key! I know, I just like making life difficult for myself! The biggest difference is remembering to switch the AT (@)symbol and Quotes (") (inverted commas as we always used to say way back when). But having done this for years, I'm used to that - but cannot remember where the backslash is, since I seldom use it!!!!

Anyways, there it is - hope it tells you more than it tells me!

mjbyyz(John B) - 100430-11:42EDT

7. DaveBurnett

8. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Thanks again, Dave. I will try accessing this website and downloading as appropriate - I'll let you know before 'solving' this thread.
    Btw, it was no good right clicking the long string - all I got was 'What is this?' - useless to me! That's why I had to do it the long way!
    Cheers, John B(mjbyyz) - 100430-13:04EDT

9. DaveBurnett

Must be different in Windows 7 as it works for me.

10. squall_01

squall_01

It would be listed or it should be. You probably would be able to install the driver but it wouldnt give you any output. Just go to the audio card page, look for the newest driver.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice