1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elfritzer, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elfritzer

elfritzer Thread Starter

I got a turntable for Christmas, and ever since I hooked it up, I have no sound at all! Could I have blown my sound card somehow? How can I test the sound card?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you disconnected the device and checked to see if you have sound?

Post your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, the exact sound card you have installed, brand and wattage of pw supply, etc.

Without detailed specs it is impossible to help you. Same thing as walking into a auto repair shop and saying "My car does not start, whats the problem" Well there are a LOT of different makes and models; no one can help you until they know what they are working on.

3. elfritzer

elfritzer Thread Starter

I have an Acer Aspire , running Vista. The only way I can get sound at all is by plugging in headphones, or plugging in speaker to headphone jack. The turntable is an ION usb type. I can get sound from the turntable by plugging into speakers, but then I have no volume control on that. I almost think that the usb cable that came w the turntable was defective. The usb should supply sound to the computer, right? When that didn't happen, I plugged the turntable directly into the computer sound inputs, and got a lot of feedback, so I unplugged. That's why I think I might have blown the sound card.

4. elfritzer

elfritzer Thread Starter

I just checked the device manager, and it lists my AMD K-8 processor twice, and it says that Windows can't initialize device driver for this hardware. Code 37

5. elfritzer

elfritzer Thread Starter

Also, UMBus root bus enumerator and PCI Standard ISA Bridge are giving code 37

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not posted what sound card. Are you using the onboard sound or a real sound card?

Post a screenshot of device manager.

Also what is set as default under control panel>sound?

7. elfritzer

elfritzer Thread Starter

Not sure how to post a screenshot of device manager, but manager shows yellow exclamation marks twice next to the dual core processor, one next to the video display, and one next to the PCI standard ISA Bridge. As far as I can tell, I have an NVIDIA sound card that came w the computer. under the sound tab on playback it says that the NVIDIA HDMI output is not plugged in and there is a red down arrow in a circle next to it. I'm not very savvy about these things, Sorry.

8. elfritzer

elfritzer Thread Starter

The default device for playback is microphone USB audio codec, which refers to the turntable that seems to be causing all the trouble.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then change it to speakers. You should have this option in control panel>sound.

10. elfritzer

elfritzer Thread Starter

I,ve changed it to everything else and I still don't get any sound.Why do I have all the yellow exclamation marks next to The dual core processor and the PCI bridge and the monitor?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not posted a screenshot so I cannot tell you. Since you have all of those things in yellow, I would tend to think your chipset/mb drivers where uninstalled or perhaps corrupted.

Next have you attempted a system restore to a point before this happened?

12. elfritzer

elfritzer Thread Starter

I did a system restore, and that did not work. I really don't know how to post a screen shot.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To post a screenshot;
    1 With the relevant window open ie DM, hit the PrtScr key
    2 Open a file viewer/editor such as irfanview or paint
    3 At the toolbar click edit>paste
    4 Crop the image so you see only what you need ie the open window
    5 Save the image as a jpeg type file with whatever name you want.

In your thread, click the "Go Advanced" button. Click the manage attachments button and a window opens. Click browse and point it at where you saved the file [usually saving to the desktop makes it easy] Click upload, then close the window. Submit your post. Done.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not suppose you have an image backup of your system by chance do you?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post your exact system specs ie make and model of mb, exact video card, etc. If this is a big box system like a dell, hp, whatever, post the exact make and model #.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice