1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joelybey88, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joelybey88

Joelybey88 Thread Starter

Okay guys this could be something so easy but cant seem to figure it out. Just built my new pc and have everything up and running perfectly other than no sound. my sound card is on my gfx card a Sapphire 9850.. all drivers have been installed and updated. Now i am running my pc through my tv via VGA cable, i know this doesnt ouput sound but i also have a HDMI running from my gfx card to the hdmi slot on my tv. My tv speakers do not work, i have tried normal headphones for mp3 players, proper headphones for the pc, still nothing. pleaseeee help if you can. Thank you.

2. AGTT

AGTT

It could be just setting the Default Sound Device in the sound properties. Did you set your HDMI as your default sound output device in the sound properties?
    Right-click on the sund icon on the taskbar, choose Playback devices and set your HDMI device shoulf have a green checkmark on its icon. That means it's the default device. Select it and click on Set Default. Your sound should be working now.
    Otherwise I don't know what could it be.

Attached Files:

3. Joelybey88

Joelybey88 Thread Starter

Okay i should have said before, by the picture you attached your using win 7, i am using xp because i dont get along with 7. but anyway my sound playback is the correct one, Sound playback device = Realtek HD audio output... i'm so confused as to why it isnt working. :(

4. AGTT

AGTT

Also, is your HDMI port on the video card for audio only, or video, only or both. What does it say on the manual/box if you still have them (or know this)?

Another thing, are your VGA cable and HDMI cable attached to the same TV; and is the TV, your only display output for the computer? TVs, and any device alike, with multiple (types of) input options can only output one of them at a time; so, if you have the two cables connected to the same TV, you can only see the VGA, or hear the HDMI, seperately.

Unless two or more physical inputs (cables) are considered as one input by the TV. For example, I can connect a VGA input to my TV and a regular audio jack, giving both audio and video output on the TV display and its integrated stereo speakers simultaneously.

Also, if your HDMI output on your video card can do both, you can connect only that to your TV and use both audio and video output. If this works, you're set, and can connect the VGA cable to another monitor. And, if you don't want to use the TV speakers, because you have seperate, larger ones, for example, you can connect them to the audio output of your TV (headphones, or audio out if you have it).

My video card, for example, has an HDMI, but can only output audio.

If the video card can output only video, than you can only use it for that.

So, what can your video card out via HDMI?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice