1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No soundcard listed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Be_Dazz_led, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Be_Dazz_led

Be_Dazz_led Thread Starter

Hi guys n gals,
    my gf's computer sorta had a nervous breakdown. She was using win ME and decided to get rid of that in favour of win 98SE...installation went fine. Now though, she has no soundcard listed under device manager...only multimedia devices are Gameport Joystick and MPU 401 Compatible. How do we get it to detect the card? I'm just hoping there's some other way than opening the case and removing the card then reinstalling it cos she'll freak at doing that.
    Thanks
    Be_Dazz_led

2. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Install your drivers from the CD/Disk that came with the sound card. The CD itself should have self extracting drivers.

If you can't find the CD, try searching www.yahoo.com or something similar for the homepage of the make of sound card and find drivers there.

3. Be_Dazz_led

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

Problem is we dont even know the NAME of the soundcard? and she doesnt have the original installation discs anymore aaagggghhhhhhhh.
    Thanks
    Be_Dazz_led

4. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

If you can at least take off the lid and get the make and model off the sound card - that would help .. she doesn't have to know ;)

Sadly, your sound card will not work correctly unless the exact proper drivers are used - trust me, I've been down this path. :)

Once you have the make, let me know and I'll try and find the drivers for you.

If you still have the manual that came with the PC, that should state the sound card you have installed.

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Is the computer an HP or Gateway or Dell or some name brand? If you have the make and model info and no one's installed a different sound card in it, then you can probably find the drivers without opening the case.

I can't begin to image why someone would freak out at opening a computer case. Does she also freak out when the mechanic lifts the hood on her car? It's no different.

6. Be_Dazz_led

Thanks again guys :)

Trust me, I told her we might have to do it and she FREAKED lol

Its an IBM Netvista personal computer build 2276...so I've directed her to the IBM drivers site and she's at this moment installing the driver for it....get back to you if its successful.
    Thanks
    Be_Dazz_led

7. Be_Dazz_led

Its not good. Installed the driver as directed in the instructions of the IBM page, did a add new hardware and still nothing. She lives alone at the moment and doesnt...well she just doesnt think she'll be able to handle taking 'puter apart...is there anyway we can do this from CMOS via setup or anything like that?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice