1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No speakers or headphones are plugged in Acer Travelmate P253-M

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Par8165, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Par8165

Par8165 Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I have an issue with my Acer Travelmate P253-M. I have searched every forum in existence about this issue and nothing is working. I'm running Windows 8.1 and no drivers or CMD methods seem to be getting my speakers from working. There is a red cross on the speaker in the notification area, troubleshooter cant find the issue. I click on playback devices and only my HDMI port is listed (sound works through HDMI). I cannot get the speakers to show up in the playback devices menu at all, no driver uninstalling and reinstalling will work. I've tried CMD instructions, didn't work, tried drivers and codecs from Acer and Realtek, didn't work. I'm at the end of my tether, nothing will work, I've even tried replacing the speakers, and guess what... DIDN'T WORK! I'm pulling my hair out, I just want the speakers to do the job they were made to do! :mad::mad:

Any help will be great!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

are we referring please to the inbuilt speakers on the laptop or by plugged in do you mean external

when you click playback devices and the window opens
    right click on the white panel where HDMI is shown
    click to show disabled and disconnected devices
    do they show now please
    and if so as what disabled or disconnected

if they do now show as disabled - right click and enable

Although if it was that I would have expected troubleshooter to find it immediately

go control panel, admin tools, services see my screenshot check please the two windows audio services are start type automatic and running

Attached Files:

3. Par8165

Par8165 Thread Starter

Hi, they are my internal speakers. I have already shown disconnected and disabled devices but speakers are still not shown. Windows audio and Windows audio endpoint builder are both automatic and running.

4. Macboatmaster

Not HDMI but do a set of speakers connected left hand side - jack 7 work - or headphones
    I cannot see they will but the test would be interesting

Also I do appreciate that it would not stop the speakers showing as a playback device but
    <Fn> + <F8> Speaker toggle

What is shown device manager please, and click view tab - show hidden devices - anything there with a warning

5. Par8165

Par8165 Thread Starter

no headphones or speakers work, like the port doesn't even realise there's anything plugged in. Nothing In device manager with a warning on hidden devices. But I have installed a game and that realised something was wrong as it said 'unable to run, no speakers are installed'

6. valis

valis Moderator

just out of curiosity, have you tested the speakers on another pc to verify that they are, in fact, good?

7. Par8165

Par8165 Thread Starter

I haven't tested the speakers from this laptop, but I have tried speakers from another acer in it but had no luck

8. Macboatmaster

On the evidence available this just has to be an integrated sound chip problem or a bad connection somewhere
    There is only one other aspect that comes to my mind

On some laptops - sound cards can be fitted as against integrated sound
    On those laptops BIOS or UEFI has setting - enable onboard sound
    NOT the travelmate P253-M but your BIOS setup is well worthy of examination

Perhaps worthy of a look - as of course the audio on HDMI is passed through the graphics card and does not rely on your integrated sound

9. Par8165

Par8165 Thread Starter

Are there places to be able to get my sound chip replaced?

10. Macboatmaster

It is I think better for you to check if there is a setting I mentioned in BIOS/UEFI

Also I am sure you will have tried this but what shows in playback devices when you disconnect HDMI reboot and use the laptop screen

Also although you say there are no warnings in Device Manager what is shown please when you expand the entry Sound Video and Game Controllers

As to repair of the integrated sound chip, if that was to be the problem, it is not really a viable course of action. The labour costs of diagnosis and replacing what is surface mount technology, even if it could be done, would be greater than the cost of the motherboard

That said I think it too early to consider this.

If there is a way forward on a forum situation, it can only ever work if you try and report the result of each suggestion

11. Par8165

Par8165 Thread Starter

the playback device page stays the same if I disable the hdmi, no speakers show up whasoever. There is also no setting in the bios for sound at all.

Attached Files:

12. Macboatmaster

On device manager right click that HD Audio
    click properties
    on the window that opens click the details tab
    then on the drop arrow
    scroll to
    Hardware IDs

and post please by copy and paste the lines shown - example

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1458A102&REV_1003

13. Par8165

Par8165 Thread Starter

Hdaudio\func_01&ven_8086&dev_2806&subsys_80860101&rev_1000

14. Macboatmaster

I tend to agree -
    internal hardware error

that is an intel reference for sound
    http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=1302
    so the realtek sound is not even seen
    on device manager right click the main entry
    sound video and game controllers
    click scan for hardware changes

if you have installed the driver from Acer having uninstalled any reference to realtek audio in Control Panel add/remove programs and nothing changes in device manager - I think it is referral job to a repair shop

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice