Solved No speakers or headset connected -suddenly no sound

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bee758

I have a Sony vaio laptop with windows 7 and when I unplugged the hdmi cord today the sound suddenly stopped working. There is a little red icon by the speaker icon and there are no playback options besides the option for Bluetooth. I've reinstalled Realtek audio and still not fixed. Also have tried several system restores. Pls help

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Check the device manager and see if there is any sound devices detected by the computer.

Bee758

I attached a photo. Only Bluetooth hands free and intel display audio listed under sound drivers. I've tried installing the stick Realtek from Sony website as well as the latest versions. The only place it shows up is in control panel under installed programs.

Attachments

Bee758

I've done that. My model redirects me to the Canadian version and I download the right one. It's redaud-00215320-0042.exe. Follow the prompts for installation. Tells me to restart my computer and when I do the problem is the same

Bee758

What else can I try next? Been at this for hours to no avail. Really frustrating

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
You may have cause a short somehow, in that case. Was the computer turned on when you inserted the HDMI cord into it? HDMI cables should NEVER be inserted or removed from a powered on device.

Bee758

Yes it was on. I've had this error before but not from the hdmi. And a system restore usually fixed it. If that's the case and a short occurred, I'm guessing there's no fix?

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Yea. You should NEVER mess with HDMI while the device(s) are turned on. My guess is there's a hardware short and it has been physically damaged.

Bee758

Ok well I'm thinking you are right because it has never been this hard to fix this issue. I appreciate your help tho. Guess I'll have to find a Bluetooth speaker because that looks like the only option for sound I will have. The Bluetooth should still output sound tho based on what the pics showed u?

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
I would think so, cause its showing as a detected device, but obviously there's no guarantees. But Bluetooth SHOULD be functional.

You could look into an external USB audio card as well.

Bee758

Ok well thank u. I'll have to look into that. Living in a country with quite the limitations on technical equipment but here's to hoping ;).

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Sure. Good luck! FWIW, you could always replace the motherboard itself, BUT I wouldn't go down that route. It will be much more costly and time consuming as well. Just wanted to make you aware of ALL the options.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online