1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Standby mode, Power Save, or Screen saver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CMartinson22, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CMartinson22

CMartinson22 Thread Starter

Hi, I've been having a few configuration problems that started happening a few days ago. First, my screen saver won't initiate after the set time. Trust me, the mouse has NOT moved. Second, I just recently changed my screen resolution back to the highest setting (which I had it on when I got my laptop in January, worked fine then), then when I restarted my comp, it went back to the previous setting. Finally, my standby mode will no longer activate. Its supposed to initiate when I close my laptop, (yes the power save options are set to that). But I still can't enter Standby even when I manually select it from the Turn off Computer Menu. Hibernate option also inoperative. I've run Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus, but it didn't fix the problem. I'm not sure if these are related, but its kind of weird that they all started happening at once. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Listed problems for quick reference:
    Screen Saver won't initiate after set time (Mouse has not moved, no key pressed)
    Screen Resolution configuration won't save after system restart.
    Standby mode and Hibernate inoperative. Manual and power save settings do not work.

Running Windows XP Service Pack 2
    This is a Brand New Dell laptop since January 2007
    Dell Inspiron 16400 Laptop
    Intel Core 2 CPU
    T7200 @2.00Ghz
    2.00Ghz, 2.00 GB of RAM

If you need more info please let me know. Thanks.

2. CMartinson22

Update:

Now the only problem is the Standby Mode. My screensaver is working again and the system has started saving my resolution settings. Any advice about Standby Mode would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. devil_himself

devil_himself

4. CMartinson22

This was a clean installation. I bought the laptop online brand new from Dell. Its the same installation since I got it in January.
    The standby button is not grayed out. Its just when I click it, nothing happens. I tried running System File Checker, but that didn't help. I'll check out that link you posted and let you know if it helped. I welcome any further suggestions anyone can give. Thanks.

5. ViprXX

ViprXX

if all else fails, make sure you have all the latest windows updates.

6. CMartinson22

Well the previous link has old information and didn't help. The file it wanted me to install was older than the file that I have now. So Windows aborted the install. I just ran windows update. Still no effect. I've tried reading through other threads on this site from people with similar issues. However, I have yet to find a solution. I would call Dell, but then again I don't really feel like paying $40 dollars for them to fix the problem. This is a Windows XP Service Pack 2 OS. Patches from Service Pack 1 won't help. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Again, the only two problems are...
    The system won't enter Standby Mode or Hibernation, automatically or manually.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

One thing you can try is to re-install service pack 2 if the SP2 was either installed on the computer when you got it that is ok but if you downloaded the SP2 install thru Windows pdate I would delete the file and then download the full version below and install it, you may have to re-install all of the windows updates after service pack 2 also.

Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 full installation
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

8. CMartinson22

No, Windows XP with SP2 came already installed when I ordered my laptop. I don't know if you can uninstall SP2 in this case. If so, how would I do that? Also, both the Standby and Hibernation features were working just fine for the first 6 months. Its only been for the last week that I've been having problems. I haven't installed any new programs and I've run Anti Spyware and Anti Virus, but still nothing. It may be something in the Windows Registry files. Maybe a corrupted file. But I ran System File Checker and didn't come up with anything. Short of doing a massive format of my hard drive, are there any other suggestions? Thanks.

9. CMartinson22

Hi Everyone,

Good news, I finally found out what was causing my Standby/Hibernation issues. I had recently installed HP software for my printer and one of the programs was called Live Monitor. That was the program that interfering with the Standby function. I just disabled it from the System Configuration Startup folder and now everything is working fine. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

-Corey

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!