1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Standby or Hibernate anymore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by perrykurtz, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perrykurtz

perrykurtz Thread Starter

Both are greyed out. They vanished a few weeks ago. Any ideas?

2. rude

rude

3. perrykurtz

I've already installed the SP1 with no change. any ideas on files that may be corrupt OR missing?

4. rude

rude

I was not telling you to install sp1,I was telling you to read the article,specifically:
    If you set the monitor to turn off and the screen saver to start at the same time, the computer may not go into standby and hibernate modes.

5. perrykurtz

My screensaver starts in 12 minutes, the monitor shuts off after 30. The screensavers I use are NON 3D. any other thought?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you installed any new drivers lately or updated any?

7. perrykurtz

I updated the video driver for the Intel card that came with the system last week after someone suggested it. Otherwise I check the MS site every couple of days for updates. But nothing major has been done.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

"Hung" drivers are almost always the reason for sudden disappearances of the hibernate and standby functions.

If that is the only driver that you are aware of having changed, why not try the rollback feature of XP and see if that returns your hibernation?

The best drivers are usually found on the manufacturer's sites. Updates often address this issue. I'd check for updates to the major ones, like NIC, graphics, and sound.

9. perrykurtz

it was doing it before I updated. Doesn't the rollback feature return the whole sytem to it's previous state right after it's 1st startup?

10. rude

rude

System restore is a tool that tracks changes to your computer and creates a restore point when it detects the beginning of a change. You can use the System Restore Wizard to select a restore point to restore your computer to an earlier state when your computer was functioning the way you like.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

I was referring to the "rollback" of drivers. XP saves the previous version of newly installed drivers. You can roll back to the previous version in the driver's properties in Device Manager.

12. perrykurtz

If I do that, I'll have to reinstall everything. Any OTHER ideas?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice