1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No start issue...sometimes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lstbelever, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lstbelever

lstbelever Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I have done a bunch of tests using the tips from a search of previous posts but I still can't seem to pin-point the issue. Here's what happens:

Hit the power button, Lights come on (over the power button) and stay orange, DVD-RW and DVD drives all light up, floppy lights up (stays lit unless I unplug it), hard drive is spinning, all fans including CPU fan is/are spinning monitor light stays orange (sometimes flashes green for a split second then back to orange). Somtimes...computer will boot normal, lights flash and turn to green like normal then when screen comes up it says something about a CMOS error, Press F1 to continue (if you choose this Windows boots normal) or DEL to enter setup.
    What I have done:
    Replaced CMOS battery (nothing)
    -Unplugged all PCI cards and drives to try booting with just Powersupply,
    Mobo, CPU, AGP video card (nothing)
    -Unplugged just floppy drive to boot (nothing)
    -Removed RAM (only have one stick) and reseated along with all plugs
    (nothing)
    -Removed video card and reseated (nothing).

System is an old OEM box from CompUSA BTO, WIN 98SE, Voodoo 5500 card, one 256 RAM stick, TDK DVD-RW, DVD drive that came with it, floppy, network and firewire PCI cards. All upgrades were done a while ago and have worked fine for a long time before problem started.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    --Nate

Irony is...using my new Mac Powerbook to ask for help fixing my PC (it's my old warhorse and I just can't let it die).

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Hit delete and enter setup, set bios defaults, check time and date settings, (correct if necessary). Set plug and play OS to NO. Save and exit. That should remove the CMOS error. As for the light on the floppy staying on after the machine boots, that normally means that the cable is reversed on one end or the other.

3. lstbelever

lstbelever Thread Starter

thanks..I will definitely follow those steps once it boots up, but right now it hasn't started in probably 20-30 tries and counting, any ideas for that?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice