1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Start Menu, Icon and VERY limited Task Manager

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by RachelB1993, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RachelB1993

RachelB1993 Thread Starter

Good evening - I am grateful to see all of the examples soutions to so many problems. I would like to join the ranks of your supporters.

My Dell desktop starts up incredibly slowly - we have Windows XP.
    Upon startup the only thing that is accesible is the C: prompt and the Task Manager. There is NO Start Menu or any icons.
    The Task Manager has very limited capabilities - I can 'Run' Internet Explorer, it shows up in the Processes tab of the Task Manager, but it just flashes in the background for a moment and is not accesible. I can open programs like Palm Desktop.
    I can start up in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode I cannot connect to the internet.

I tried to load SUPERantiSpyware.exe and I could access it on my G: stick drive, and even save it to my C: drive, but when I try to run it I get a message that Windows Installer Services could not be accessed.

I have read about Hijackthis, but I don't know how to set it up on my crippled computer.

I have run CCleaner.

I believe I have all of the Windows Disks.

:(

Can you please walk me through the basic steps to start my journey back to a clean computer?

Many Thanks,
    Rachel

2. RachelB1993

When in Safe Mode with Networking I can connect to the Internet, but I cannot use my keyboard, only my mouse :(

I would also appreciate knowing if copying My Documents to a stick drive and scanning it from my laptop would jeoparodize the laptop. I just want to have as much safe backup as possible.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

4. RachelB1993

Thanks for the support doco. I am not really comfortable with changing the registry - is it ok if I just re-install the Windows Installer?

And, what happens if I rename the .old Windows Installer and I have a problem installing Windows Installer? Yikes.

Do you think this step of refreshing Windows Installer to get to install Superantispyware will get to the root of my problem?
    Thanks so much for your time.
    Rachel

5. ~Candy~

Did you try just the first part to re-register the settings?

As for changing the registry, just create a system restore point first, then you can restore back to it.

6. RachelB1993

So sorry, but I seem stuck. I cannot turn on the System Restore in Safe Mode and when I try to use the Task Manager in regular mode it lets me select the rstrui.exe but it does not go to the System Restore application, it just freezes! Do you have other options? I can access the cmd prompt.
    Thanks.
    Rachel

7. ~Candy~

If you can access cmd, try to type this at the prompt:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

8. RachelB1993

My rstrui.exe is located at c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

by %root% do you mean I type so the line looks like this?;

C:\>c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

The cursor just sits on the next line flashing.

9. ~Candy~

At the prompt, after you type cmd and get to the black screen, type what I posted.

10. RachelB1993

OK! I typed exactly as you told me to and the pop up asked if I wanted to turn on System Restore and I clicked YES. It does not take me to a screen that asks me to create a Restore Point (as the jump from the initial instructions said I would see).

Now the screen is still on the same prompt that comes up when I type the New Task 'cmd' from the Task Manager. That prompt is;

C:\Documents and Settings\Marty>

Nothing else is happening - could you let me know what the next step would be?

I really apprecitate you bringing it to my level!
    Rachel

11. ~Candy~

Ok, now, go to the normal system restore area, off your start menu, all programs....accessories, system tools, system restore.

12. RachelB1993

My main problem is that I do not have a Start Menu or Icons in Normal Mode, I only have access to my Task Manager. In Safe Mode I do have the Start Button and I can use Networking/Internet.

Is there a alternative way to access the System Restore?

13. ~Candy~

See if you can create a system restore point now in safe mode.

14. RachelB1993

I get the message that the System Restore has been turned off and cannot be turned on in Safe Mode. To turn on System Restore, restart in Normal mode and then run System Restore again.

Should I turn the computer on in Normal mode again and use the %systemroot% command again?

15. ~Candy~

Not sure where to go from here, you can certainly try that. I have to call it a night. I'm going to beckon someone else's assistance tomorrow.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice