No success with RAID 1 - New Build

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

msonberg

Here are my specs:

M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Mobo
AMD Phenom II x6 1090 T
NVIDIA QUADRO FX 580 vid card
16GB DDR3 Ram

Drives: All SATA internal

1 physical drive dedicated to OS

4 physical drives (2 for storage and 2 for backup)
All are Seagate 1.5TB SATA internal drives

1 DVD Rom

I'm trying to set up the RAID 1 configuration for the 4 big data drives. I work on graphics editing and the optimal setup for me is to run my audio from 1 physical drive and my video from a separate physical drive. I would like to have a backup of each after having some rough experiences with data loss and storage is definitely cheap enough for me to avoid that.

I've gotten all 4 drives to show up in explorer as regular IDE drives. However when I configure them as 2 logical drives under the RAID settings they no longer show up in explorer. Nor do they show up under "disk management".

Is there anyone with some really good RAID configuration exp that can walk me through this? I'm relatively new to the RAID stuff but I can get around the rest of it ok.

Remember this is a brand new build if that has any bearing.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

crjdriver

OK, are you trying to setup a raid array using windows or are you doing it in the raid bios?

crjdriver

I should add that raid of any type is NOT a backup plan. Some types of raid ie raid1, 01, 5 are hardware redundant only. There is no protection from a virus, malware, accidental file deletion, etc; every error is mirrored. IMO a much better backup plan is to run to of the drives; one audio and one video. Now use the other two drives in a NAS, external housing, etc. Make regular image backups of your data drives. If there is ever a problem with a data drive, it takes all of 10min or so to install a new drive, then restore the image. Done.

msonberg

The SATA mode is set to RAID/AHCI.

I was definitely considering what you said:

Now use the other two drives in a NAS, external housing, etc. Make regular image backups of your data drives.
Can you point me in the right direction for the info on how to set this up? I'm looking for something simple so that I'm not likely to put it off or "ignore it" because it's time consuming or frustrating. That's why I was looking to set up the RAID config.

crjdriver

OK, you must first have your sata controller set to raid. I assume it is set in that manner. Most onboard type controllers do not support multiple raid arrays; ie you get one array and that is it. Some very expensive raid cards will allow multiple arrays however with onboard you are very limited.

Post exactly what you are attempting to do; ie create two raid1 arrays, create a single array that you are going to partition into 2 logical partitions, etc.

FWIW I always recommend that if you really really must have raid [and I think it is a mistake for the home user] then buy a real raid card. Onboard raid is next to useless and is NOT a very good backup plan. Just think about what happens in a year or two when your mb is no longer available; the board fails and you now cannot access the raid array. With a real raid card this is not a problem however with onboard yes it is a problem.

crjdriver

Here is an example of a dual bay external housing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182144
Use something like this and acronis true image to make regular scheduled backups of data drives.

IMO this is a much better way to go. The backup can be scheduled and completely automatic ie you do not have to do anything.

In addition if you ever have a mb fail, your data/work files are still accessable.

crjdriver

I will be gone for the rest of the night so if you have more questions, I can answer them in the morning or someone else will jump in.

crjdriver

Yes, it seemed from what he was trying to accomplish that an external enclosure would do the job. If he has a network, or multiple systems, then I think the NAS would be the better choice.

I just hate to see someone use raid1 thinking it is a backup; their mb fails and all of the data is lost unless they can find the same board or same chipset board OR pay a shop to do data recovery on a raid array.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online