1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Task Manager, No Icons, No Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gloomba38, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gloomba38

gloomba38 Thread Starter

Hey all, sorry if this has been asked before;

My dad has a Dell desktop, and it crashed on him last night. He ended up running the Dell restore disk, and now when he starts the computer up, it just shows his wallpaper. There are no icons, no start menu, and he can't ctrl+alt+del. Nothing pops up whatsoever.

Any ideas, or need any more information?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

If he ran the restore disk, things should be just how they were when he got the system.

I'd run it again.

3. gloomba38

gloomba38 Thread Starter

He has informed me that he has ran the restore disk twice;

I just pulled up a very very limited task manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc. All the processes are running, besides explorer.exe. If I try to start explorer.exe, it closes the task manager and then nothing happens.

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

How old is the machine?

I think by running the restore disk you get the option to format or just reload. You may need to format and reload.

Can you get into safe mode?

5. gloomba38

gloomba38 Thread Starter

Yeah, it just loads to a blank screen in safe mood, like all black.

It's a pretty old machine, I don't know exactly, but I'm guessing 2000-2001 model? It was back in the "Dude! You're getting a Dell!" days.

And I was afraid a reformat would be necessary... is there any way he could possibly get his files off of the hard-drive before reformating?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You can pull the hard drive out of that Dell Dude and slave it to another computer. You should be able to pull files off that way.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice