1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Taskbar & Desktop Icons, Only Wallpaper!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by icer101, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icer101

icer101 Thread Starter

xcoach has started a thread with the same problem as what I seem to have.

I just wanted to add a few more details to what happened with mine.

If Mods deem it fit to merge with his thread, I am more than happy for that to happen.

I am running WinXP Pro w/SP2 + all its patches (that I am aware of) that alerted me wanting to be installed, on a hp workstation xw4200. 2.8 GHz + 1 GB RAM.

I run Avast, all upto date (at least up until last night [I live in Australia +10GMT]).

I pray that this is enough info.

This morning, after running my system for a few days, as I am a graphic design student, to free the memory and increase the sluggish behaviour of my PC, I decided to reboot it.

When it restarted, after the click of my login icon (I always wanted to get rid of it, but don't know how, as mine is the only account on the system...), the computer took longer than normal to boot up to the desktop.

Once there, I only saw my wallpaper!

No taskbar, no desktop icons!

I pressed WIN+E (to open up the Explorer). Nothing happened!

I Ctrl+Alt+Del'ed and tried to run programs from there to no avail!

I tried pulling a shifty on the system, and typed "explorer" into the File>New Task (Run)... window. Nothing happened!

I restarted the system, pressed F8 and F5 alternatingly, and managed to get the screen up where it asks if you want to run the system in safe mode (in various flavours) and then I saw the option to "run in last known good state" or something or rather.

I tried the latter and voila! It worked!

I then tried using the "Boot last know good session" or whatever, within Windows.

I restarted the system to see if the problem was eradicated... Nope.

Shifty action number 2: I used the Task Manager's browsing capabilities to browse and try to print, but it gets extremely lethargic and I can't do anything except make lovely :)p) patterns when I move the "Open File" box around.

I rebooted again and tried to start using the alternating F5 & F8 keys to get the last known working instance again whilst in DOS to see if that would be a bypass again...

I got the DOS line asking if I wanted to safe mode it, or "try last known working instance" or something to that effect again. Again I tried the latter.

It booted up to the desktop wallpaper, with no icons or taskbar again!

Ah well!

I then tried rebooting and decided to use the the safemode with networking.

I need to print my PDFs and the printer won't work!

I mean, it won't detect the printer (HP LaserJet 4), neither will it let me install it!

It says, "Operation could not be completed. The print spoller service is not running." With a white X on a red circle.

Bottom line...

- I am contemplating on formatting my system. But I just hate downloading all those Windows patches!

- I need for my system to boot up with the taskbar and desktop icons.

- At least, I need to print!

PS: If there is anything else that needs to be explained, please ask, I will gladly fill you in...

Thanking you all in advance :D

2. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I posted the same problem a month ago http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/696619-xp-halts-user-login.html and have had to move the hard drive to another PC and work with it till I get more time to investigate it.

You could try one thing that did not work for me - download the six disk XP Pro start up disk set from Microsoft (on another PC obviously) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55820edb-5039-4955-bcb7-4fed408ea73f&displaylang=en and see if you can start up on that and then hopefully do a REPAIR XP.

My PC would get almost all the way through the 6 disk installation and then have a file error. I found the troublesome file and loaded it via dos but I just got another file issue - so I had to quit until I had more time.:mad:

When I would try to run explorer or anything else through Task ManagerI would always get a file association error.

I keep looking about the net for someone who persevered with the solution. I too would rather not reload XP if there is another fix. If I hear of something I will post it. And maybe another reader here is a little further along in the solution. (y)

- Castleheart

3. icer101

icer101 Thread Starter

Thank you CastleHeart :)

But here is the issue...

OK, I scanned my pc from boot, and got several viruses... ok ok... "virii" on my system :p

I am going to do a format>clean install of all programs>backup using a good backup utility

Problem is, I have XP SP1 and have to DL all the patches to be able to upgrade to XP Pro SP2, which will take me probably a good week, and then I have to DL all the patches to be current... Oh well... I guess somethings just have to be done... Wish I had backed up earlier...

Wait... is there a bypass? Like a direct link to SP2 with all current patches in it or something?

Or is that called SP3 :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!