1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No taskbar, no icons just a blue screen - Help!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hydro1, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hydro1

hydro1 Thread Starter

When I boot the computer, windows seems to load normally up to the desktop stage when I get a momentary flash of the explorer taskbar in the lower left corner then nothing but blue screen. No response to left or right clicks anywhere. Same in safe mode.

I re-booted from the startup disk and reloaded Windows 98 and same problem. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm stumped.

2. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

Is the blue screen your typical "blue screen of death" with a message on it, or is it just a blank blue screen with the mouse pointer moving on it?

3. hydro1

hydro1 Thread Starter

It's just a blank blue screen, no message and nothing there.

4. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

Have you installed any new items, If so remove them and try to boot. Along with all the many unexplaneded windows issues, a driver conflict will also cause what your discribing.

5. hydro1

hydro1 Thread Starter

I havn't installed anything lately so that type of conflict isn't obvious. Have you heard of any type of virus that may cause this?

6. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

The best advice I could give you at this point is, to fdisk the hard drive, reset the partition, and reinstall Winders (thats not a typo Im from the south). OH ya and No I have not heard of a virus that causes that. However, that could be the end result of one, your files have become so corupted that noting works. The same fix applies. Good Luck.

7. hydro1

hydro1 Thread Starter

BTT

Any suggestions on how to re-install or repair Explorer?

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you start in safe mode? When you say you reloaded windows 98, you did a complete reinstall??????

Duh, I see where you said the same thing happens in safe mode.....I think you are going to have to jump thru some hoops unless you want to format. I think Rollin' Rog has helped with a variety of these, let's see if we can find him ;)

9. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

Go to microsofts web page and install the latest and greatest version, that should fix your IE issues

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's a very tough problem for most to fix. There are basically two approaches

1 -- reinstall Windows. You need a System CD or cab files on the hard drive and your ProductKey handy. You will have to update IE afterwards. You must precede this by booting to a command prompt and entering:

ren c:\windows\system\iemigrat.dll iemigrat.old

This prevents Windows from trying to keep the current corrupt install of IE.

2 -- The second method is to boot to an alternate shell program and try to remove IE to return to a previous version. You can also in some cases try the repair or even try running IE setup in the c:\Progra~1\Intern~1 folder.

I've given some instructions on this method here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?postid=979047#post979047

11. hydro1

hydro1 Thread Starter

Rollin'Rog,

How do I update IE after reinstalling Windows?

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Usually Windows installs puts an older version back on. So you'll need to go to MS website and download the update.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice