1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No taskbar or icons during startup!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sdelaney, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdelaney

sdelaney Thread Starter

I recently tried to load SBC/Yahoo software onto my computer for a new DSL connection. I immediately ran into all sorts of conflicts and after 3 hours of the phone with SBC/Yahoo support, they threw their hands up and told me to restore my computer to an earlier date. I did that, and it looked to be ok, until I retarted and now I am stuck somewhere in the start up where I get my desktop background, but have no start menu, taskbar or icons. If I leave my computer running, the screen saver comes on and as if everything is normal, but I can't get to anything and can only retart and shut down with Control/Alt/Del. How can I get my taskbar and icons back?! I can't access anything on my computer!

2. moebius

moebius

what windows version are you using? if ur using an nt kernel os (nt/2k/xp/.net) then click on the proceses tab on the alt-ctr-del task manager. gimme a list of all the running process. also, click file>new process and then type explorer.exe and press enter

if ur using 98/me gimme a list of applications in the alt-ctrl-del task manager

3. sdelaney

sdelaney Thread Starter

I am running Windows ME.

There are 2 programs running in the Ctrl/Alt/Del manager:
    Devldr16
    Bcmdmmsg

I can End Task both of them and nothing changes.

btw, when I started in Safe Mode, I will don't have icons or a start menu there either....

Shani

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. sdelaney

sdelaney Thread Starter

The problem is that I can't get to the Start menu to run msconfig - there is no start menu or taskbar on my desktop at all. And I am running into a major problem in that I don't have the ME start up disk because everything was installed by the manufacturer and not by me. I will ask around with friends to see if anyone has it - then maybe the 2nd way could be an option.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Read the link I posted. It was intended for just that problem.

You can download a WinME OEM bootdisk here. Download it to the hard drive, put a clean floppy in the drive and run the setup file. Then you can boot with it on the Winme system

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

7. sdelaney

sdelaney Thread Starter

shoot. when i put the bootdisk in my floppy drive to restart the computer, i get a black screen with the following:

NTLDR is missing
    Press any key to restart

When i press any key, I just keep getting this message over and over. If I take the floppy out and then press any key, I get back to the same place I have been getting stuck at my desktop with no icons or taskbar.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ntldr? Which boot disk did you create? I'm not sure if the setup routine formats the floppy. So if you didn't format it and it wasn't a clean floppy. Start over and format the floppy before running the bootdisk setup routine.

And was this system previously set up to dual boot?

Also, is your floppy drive set to be the first boot device in the BIOS?

If the floppy drive does not spin when you boot with the floppy in the drive, then your boot order is not set for it.

Watch the first data on your boot screen to see which key to press to access the BIOS/CMOS setup. Look for an option to toggle the boot order and place the a: drive first in the list.

9. sdelaney

sdelaney Thread Starter

i created the WinME OEM bootdisk from bootdisk.com, and i formatted it beforehand. it does spin when i boot with the floppy drive and it has worked before to boot things from my floppy before. hmmm.....i have a friend who has the WinME reinstallation cd and perhaps the manufactuers bootdisk. i will try to get that from him to see if that works. but i'll be away for a couple days before i can get back to town to get the cd though - so thanks for everything and i'll let you know if in 2 days the new cd seems to work.

oh, can i reinstall WinME (if i can get it to read the cd during start up) without messing up the data on my hardrive? replacing the operating system over the messed up one now won't delete saved info my c: drive, will it?

shani

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm totally puzzled by the problem with the boot disk; if it is selected first in the boot order it should not even be using the hard drive as long as is one that creates a "ram disk", and I assumed that did.

You can try others, even a Win98 boot disk as far as what is required here would be fine.

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

And if your friend has a WinME system you can create one on it through Add/Remove programs.

But to answer your question a reinstall from a Microsoft WinME CD will not destroy data. What you have to watch out for is using a vendors "recovery" CD, those will completely wipe the drive in some instances.

In any case if you use a CD you will have to change the boot order in the BIOS if it is now set for the floppy.

If you can get into the BIOS, it might help to reload the setup defaults.

11. walkeriam

walkeriam

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice