1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No taskbar or icons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WhiteRabbit, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Thread Starter

I recently installed the trial version of PowerDVD 7 (and uninstalled PowerDVD 2.55, because otherwise the installation wouldn't continue) in order to test it out. A few minutes later, I decided to reinstall version 2.55, except I didn't uninstall version 7 before-hand.

Afterwards, I restarted my computer and logged in. I found that all my icons and my taskbar had gone. Explorer.exe was running, but it didn't seem to do anything, and starting another instance didn't do anything either. I figured it had something to do with PowerDVD 7, since that was the only thing I downloaded in a long time, so I uninstalled it.

After restarting the computer again, the icons and taskbar were still gone. I found out that I could get them to reappear if I closed the only instance of Explorer, and run it again, but I don't want to do that every time. How do I return things to the way they were?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Try System Restore to a date when you had Icons etc

Go Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore

Pick a date in Dark Blue only

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice