1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No "Text-to-speech" tab in the speech applet in Control Panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by parham, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parham

parham Thread Starter

Hello,
    For some reason, there is no sign of Sapi 5 in my computer. I have installed SAPI 5 and SAPI 5.1, and although I get the modify/repair/remove prompt when running the installation file again, there is still no text-to-speech tab in the speech applet. I have also tried registering whatever sapi.dll file I could find in my computer, to no end.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone, and great work with the forum!

2. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

try removing it and starting again (if you have not already done so)

3. parham

parham Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thank you for your quick response. I have tried that, but it didn't work. I do not even know how one can remove SAPI 5 from their computer in a way it would leave no trace (even Narrator doesn't speak!).

Thanks.

4. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

i meant using the remove prompt then starting again but if you have tried this then it could be a problem with the instillation files i have had that of software before.

where did you get the program from? i.e. was it downloaded or on a CD

if it was downloaded try downloading it again and install it from that one (before you do that use the installer to remove the program when prompted)

if you got it from a cd here is a download link from microsoft
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...97-40a7-453f-b0ee-6583171b4530&displaylang=en

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. parham

parham Thread Starter

Hi,

I downloaded that file. Upon execution, a yes-no prompt came up, and as I clicked yes, a progress bar went up to a hundred per cent, and then the program closed, leaving no change in my system that I can see.

7. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

humm is this the same that has always been happening? load to 100% then it disappears?

what operating system are you using?

8. parham

parham Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am using Windows XP SP3. I actually checked my installed applications (through the "Your Uninstaller!" program) and found that SAPI 5.1 is installed, even though I cannot find it anywhere.

9. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

humm well it says it is installed but you can't find it? try searching for SAPI 5.1 and see if a .exe program comes up (one that is not the installation program)

10. parham

parham Thread Starter

Hi,

I found a SAPI 5.1.msi in c:\program files\Microsoft Speech 5.1, and I installed that too, but still nothing in the control panel.

11. parham

parham Thread Starter

Bump.

12. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

For an uninstaller that removes more Registry settings than others, a lot of people use RevoUninstaller. You said in Post #3 that Narrator doesn't speak either. Do you have any sound from any application?

13. parham

parham Thread Starter

Hi,

Yes, I do have output from every other program (as long as it is not using SAPI 5.0). SAPI 4.0 works fine, too.

14. parham

parham Thread Starter

Bump.

15. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Did you try uninstalling using RevoUninstaller? To be clear - everything sound related works but Start>All Programmes>Accessories>Accessibility>Narrator does not?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice