No "Text-to-speech" tab in the speech applet in Control Panel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

parham

Hello,
For some reason, there is no sign of Sapi 5 in my computer. I have installed SAPI 5 and SAPI 5.1, and although I get the modify/repair/remove prompt when running the installation file again, there is still no text-to-speech tab in the speech applet. I have also tried registering whatever sapi.dll file I could find in my computer, to no end.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone, and great work with the forum!

parham

Hi there,

Thank you for your quick response. I have tried that, but it didn't work. I do not even know how one can remove SAPI 5 from their computer in a way it would leave no trace (even Narrator doesn't speak!).

Thanks.

i meant using the remove prompt then starting again but if you have tried this then it could be a problem with the instillation files i have had that of software before.

where did you get the program from? i.e. was it downloaded or on a CD

if it was downloaded try downloading it again and install it from that one (before you do that use the installer to remove the program when prompted)

if you got it from a cd here is a download link from microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...97-40a7-453f-b0ee-6583171b4530&displaylang=en

parham

Hi,

I downloaded that file. Upon execution, a yes-no prompt came up, and as I clicked yes, a progress bar went up to a hundred per cent, and then the program closed, leaving no change in my system that I can see.

humm is this the same that has always been happening? load to 100% then it disappears?

what operating system are you using?

parham

Hi,
I am using Windows XP SP3. I actually checked my installed applications (through the "Your Uninstaller!" program) and found that SAPI 5.1 is installed, even though I cannot find it anywhere.

humm well it says it is installed but you can't find it? try searching for SAPI 5.1 and see if a .exe program comes up (one that is not the installation program)

parham

Hi,

I found a SAPI 5.1.msi in c:\program files\Microsoft Speech 5.1, and I installed that too, but still nothing in the control panel.

For an uninstaller that removes more Registry settings than others, a lot of people use RevoUninstaller. You said in Post #3 that Narrator doesn't speak either. Do you have any sound from any application?

parham

Hi,

Yes, I do have output from every other program (as long as it is not using SAPI 5.0). SAPI 4.0 works fine, too.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online