1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No updates and freezing

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tjuk, Nov 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

Hi people.
    I'm using a fairly new Acer Aspire PC with Win 10 and am experiencing a number of issues.

1. It will not update, it downloads them but fails to install. It frequently asks to retry but fails every time, sometimes running for over an hour with the install trying to update. I get various error messages, and have even sent them to Microsoft Help, but they weren't very helpful.

2. It freezes quite often, when online and streaming/watching tv/films etc. and also when browsing. The cursor will not move with the mouse, and Ctrl Alt Delete will not bring up the Task Window to close the program either, so I have to shut it down with the On/Off button.

3. Sticky Notes has disappeared! I've got an icon on the taskbar, but clicking it opens a "Can't open this App" window which directs me to MS website for the new App Launcher, which then opens the original "Can't open this App." window!

SysInfo below. Help gratefully received, thanks in advance. :)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU J4205 @ 1.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 92 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8045 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (401 GB Free); D: 465 GB (465 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire XC-730
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to \Windows folder and delete the SoftwareDistribution folder. This folder holds the downloaded updates. If your update is repeatedly retrying to install without success, maybe they are corrupted. So delete all of them and let Windows download fresh ones.

3. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

I can't find a folder with that name. How do I find it?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

That is : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

5. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

Ok thanks, I found the folder.
    I deleted the history by right clicking in the top window.

Do I highlight the contents and delete them?
    There's a "DataStore", "Download", "PostRebootEventCache.V2", "SIH", "SLS" and "ReportingEvents" folder in there.

Sorry if I seem a bit dim, I'm not gelling very well with this Win 10 OS. :-(

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Yes, you can delete the entire folder

7. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

Update.

There was 11.7 GB containing 80,599 items.
    I started the delete but the computer froze at about 30% with 6 GB remaining.
    Ctrl Alt Delete would not work so I shut it down with the main switch.
    On restart I restarted the delete, and it carried on from before, deleting the remaining 6 GB.

It was unable to delete everything, some files remained because it said they were open in another program, (idk where)
    and some not deleted due to Remote Access Connection Manager.

8. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The computer will, as you may know, never really successfully stream video - by that I mean you have a relatively low performance CPU and your integrated graphics Intel HD505
    https://ark.intel.com/products/95591/Intel-Pentium-Processor-J4205-2M-Cache-up-to-2-6-GHz-

are also at the lower end of performance
    https://www.3dmark.com/pcm8hm3/325709
    https://technical.city/en/video/HD-Graphics-505

and of course the graphics have no ram of their own, but use system ram.

That is NOT to say you should have the problems you are experiencing and I suspect third party software.
    Is their any antivirus in use other than the included Windows Defender.
    Third party AV programs often cause problems with updates and the use of system booster programs, registry cleaners and make it go faster programs account for many similar problems to what you report.

IMHO moving straight to deleting software distribution folder is - jumping in at the deep end, when it may indeed be unnecessary and even not the cause of the problems.

I recommend a disk clean up to start with including system files.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup

you will be using clean up system files, not to create more space but to clean up windows update files.

When you reply please list all third party system tools/apps that you have installed that are in any manner related to performance. As mentioned many are the kiss of death to 10 including some third party defraggers.

9. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

I'm only using Defender AV.
    I used Norton Removal when I first had the puter and have had no issues until now.
    The freezing is a recent thing, as is the loss of Sticky Notes, which I cannot access or download
    as the system says it's already installed.

The freezing can happen on any program.... just today it froze waiting to print labels for a parcel.
    Again Ctrl Alt Delete does nothing, only the main OFF switch works. :-(

I haven't added anything program wise other than Netflix etc.
    Watching TV etc doesn't normally cause a problem,
    only minor buffering probably caused by the kids eating up bandwidth while gaming I think.

10. Macboatmaster

I still recommend the disk cleanup as explained followed by system file check
    at an admin cmd prompt
    sfc /scannow

If it reports errors that could not be fixed reboot and run it twice more rebooting after each.
    If it still report errors then return to the cmd prompt and run a Deployment Imaging servicing cmd
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

as explained here
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness

although you are running it for the purpose of updates it also repairs other errors in system files

11. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

I tried running the sfc/scannow several times.... first time the PC froze, then twice it ran the verification and restarted at around 35-40%.

I therefore don't know if it has found any errors as I don't think it has managed to complete a scan.

I then ran the Restorehealth cmd instead, which ran to around 75% before I left the computer, (it took a fair while,)
    on returning the PC had restarted again, I don't know if it had finished or completed the job.

Btw... I also have SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes and CCleaner installed, (I only run it on the basic setting to clean cookies and empty the bin etc,)
    I've never used anything else on it, I don't tick any boxes or run the Reg cleaner or anything else.

12. Macboatmaster

It is not unusual for the DISM cmd to take sometime at around 75%
    Either run it again and watch it to see what it reports OR
    from the link go to the log and see what is reported
    DISM creates a log file (%windir%/Logs/CBS/CBS.log) that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. %windir% is the folder in which Windows is installed. For example, the %windir% folder is C:\Windows.

Is Malwarebytes and SAS the paid for editions running in real time or scan on demand only

Have you run the complete disc cleanup as I mentioned please

13. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

Malware and SAS are free versions only.
    I did run the disc clean and clean up files.

I can run it again later, and also the DISM scan.
    I'm not sure I understand where to find the log report?

Thanks for your help so far. :)

14. Macboatmaster

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  15. tjuk

tjuk Thread Starter

I cut and paste for the Log report, which opened a huge document to Notepad, I've no idea what it all meant but there was a lot of it!
    Then the PC froze again!
    I'm running the Restorehealth cmd again and will let you know.

It has just frozen again during the Restore cmd, after about 5 minutes.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice