1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No UPS Output When AC Mains Powered

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by cwwozniak, Jan 2, 2019.

1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have a Rocketfish brand UPS model RF-1025VA that stopped working correctly. When powered from the AC mains, there is no output on any of the UPS receptacles when the UPS is turned on. If I then unplug the UPS's power cord, all of the UPS receptacles power up and work normally.

I am looking for a source of any servicing information, like a schematic diagram (yes, I am comfortable and familiar with the risks of working around uncovered and AC powered equipment with internal high voltages).

On this particular model, do the UPS outputs run directly off the AC input and then switch to the battery powered DC-AC inverter on power failure or are they always powered from the DC-AC inverter that seamlessly switches from the internal AC-DC supply/charger to battery upon power outage?

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello Chuck!

So if I understand, there is no continuous voltage present on the receptacles. There is 120VAC on the UPS receptacles if you unplug the unit from the wall, but those same receptacles have zero voltage on them when the UPS is plugged into the wall.

Are there any warning lights or anything? Judging by the simple diagram attached, looks like the problem may be in the AVR. This unit appears discontinued; not sure you can get replacement parts.

You could get adventurous and bypass it maybe. You have more knowledge in your pinky than I have ever thought about knowing. ;) But that does sound a bit risky. :)

Attached Files:

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Thank for the manual with the block diagram. I did not know the UPS had an AVR circuit.

There is a front panel information display on the unit that shows things like input and output voltages, time remaining, load level, frequency, etc. I did notice that the display is showing an output voltage when powered from the AC mains, even though the lamp load I had on the output remained off. This makes me suspect that the problem lies in whatever is switching the outlets between the AVR and DC-AC inverter. I do not hear any kind of relay clicking when unplugging and replugging the input power.

Attempting to repair the UPS is a low priority at work and it may be some time as to when I will actually take the covers off. The user has a new UPS.

Drabdr likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!