1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No USB (even after clean install)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Astor211, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Astor211

Astor211 Thread Starter

I'm at a loss. I had Windows 98 and XP dual boot going for awhile. My USB mouse worked fine. I tried to install a USB joystick, but it kept coming back "unknown device". I unplugged the mouse, and when I plugged it back in, it didn't recognize it!!

USB ceased working at all. The USB controllers were showing as working properly, but whenever I plugged in any USB device it came up "unknown device". This happened in both Windows 98 and XP (dual boot setup).

Here's what I tried:
    1. Reseting BIOS to fail-safe
    2. Flashing BIOS to latest
    3. Updating drivers
    4. Reassigning IRQs - trying to get the USB controller to have it's
    own.
    5. Disabling COM1, COM2 in bios to free up IRQs.

Nothing worked, so...

I did I clean install of Windows 98 SE. Only the USB mouse was plugged in during installation. The USB controllers were detected and had no errors during driver installation. I have the Nforce2 chipset on my mobo, so I used the USB 2.0 driver that came with it.

Still, no USB devices work. Still coming up "unknown device"

Right now, Windows is detecting the following USB hardware:

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
    ----------------------------------------
    NVIDIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
    USB 2.0 Root Hub Device

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
    ----------------------------------------
    Standard OpenHCI USB Controller
    Standard OpenHCI USB Controller
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

Info:
    USB 1.0/1.1 Controllers are on IRQ 9 and 11 (11 also has video
    card on it)
    USB 2.0 controller is on IRQ 4

Current BIOS settings:
    APIC: disabled
    ACPI: disabled
    IRQ assigned to VGA: enabled
    USB 1.1/2.0 enabled
    USB keyboard support: enabled
    Enhanced USB compatiblity: disabled

Still, when I plug a device in (mouse, gamepad), it lights up for a second, then comes up "unknown device". USB just does not work.

I am stumped. I am ready to bring my computer to the shop and I've NEVER done that before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Astor211

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure that the USB plug is not shorting against the case - I've seen this a few times. I might also suggest trying your mouse an another system to make sure it is still working.

3. mobo

mobo

Try chipset drivers , do you know what they are ? You can get them with Aida32 . Click on motherboard then chipset and post it here so I can post the link for you.

4. Astor211

Astor211 Thread Starter

Aida is a great program! My chipset drivers are Nvidia Nforce2 SPP

Are they different from Nvidia's unified nforce drivers? I've been to Epox's website, and all they had was an older version of those. I'm doing a search for "nforce2 spp chipset driver" but not finding anything.

Thanks!

Astor211

5. mobo

mobo

6. Ian291

Ian291

Your boards battery might have died on you which would have put it back to its the default setting. Try looking in the BIOS to see if the USB mouse\keyboard support tag is enabled or not.

7. Astor211

Astor211 Thread Starter

I tried to install the above drivers. During setup...it gave a message that said setup could not initiliaze and then it gave a number like 08x1210932...not those exact numbers but something like that.

So I installed the Nforce2 drivers ver 2.45. The setup went fine. I went and bought a new optical mouse. And it worked! Maybe the old mouse really is dead...

But none of my other USB devices work either... I tried a Logitech gamepad, a Thrustmaster gamepad (brand new), and a Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner.

I do have two systems. The new mouse works in both of them, but none of the other devices work. I just can't believe that all of the other things stopped working, but they keep coming up "Unknown device" in both computers.

Is there anyway I could have damaged these other devices by trying to plug them into my new computer? Someone said something about the USB shorting out. Is it possible to ruin something by plugging them into USB? Yes, I plugged them in properly and didn't force them in. :)

Thanks again,

Astor211

8. mobo

mobo

It is possible to damage components while plugging in hardware while the system is running. Can you get them to work at all even with drivers ?

9. mobo

mobo

Shut down your system with the new working mouse. Then switch the mouse to a different port and plug in one of the other periferals in the previous mouse port and reboot..

10. Astor211

Astor211 Thread Starter

Ok, I tried the instructions in the above post. The mouse still works, but the usb gamepad which I plugged in still comes up "Unknown device".

I watched the gamepad when I turned on the computer. The lights on the gamepad blinked a few times during the bios screen, but the lights went out and stayed off by the time the Win98 logo screen came on.

I'm going to try this with the only other two usb devices I have, another gamepad and the Top Gun Afterburner joystick.

Thanks,

Astor211

11. Astor211

Astor211 Thread Starter

I tried it with the other two devices, and they both came up in the device manager as "Unknown device"

I'm looking at my gamepad now, and the power light is on, but it is an unknown device.

As far as drivers go, I've installed them for each device. Except the Thrustmaster game pad (firestorm dual analog 2) is supposed to come up as "HID-compliant device" - Thrustmaster doesn't even make drivers for it. But it comes up unknown device.

I guess I should try using them on a friend's computer?

Thanks,

Astor211

12. Ash_11

Ash_11

Give this a try:

1. unplug all usb devices

2. Back up registry file

Click Start->Run Type: regedit

- At the top of the Registry Editor you will see a Registry Button, click it and than click Export Registry File
    - Give this file a name of Registry and save it to the C:\windows\temp directory

3. On the left hand side of the page you will see the following:

- My Computer
    + HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    + HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    + HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    + HKEY_USERS
    + HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
    + HKEY_DYN_DATA

- Click the plus sign (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    - Click the plus sign (+) next to Enum
    - Click the plus sign (+) next to USB
    Here you will see "Root Hub" and allot of "Vid" folders.

Delete all the VID folders by clicking once on the VID folder and hitting your del key on your keyboard.
    Once all of the VID folders have been deleted (do not touch the root hub folder), close down the registry by clicking the X in the top right hand corner.

Restart your computer

Once started, (install your mouse software if any), then plug in your mouse. Windows will now detect any USB devices connected to your computer. Once all detection is done, restart your computer again.

Even though usb is plug and play, most usb devices still need the respective software installed first to be properly detected. Good luck

13. Astor211

Astor211 Thread Starter

The new mouse I bought does work in both computers.

All my other USB devices (2 gamepads, 1 joystick, 1 optical mouse) do not work. I've tried them on THREE different computers.

I've come to this possibility: Somehow I ruined ALL four of the devices by plugging them into the new computer.

My question now is: How could that be? Is it bad wiring of my USB ports to the motherboard?

Triple6: You mentioned USB shorting out against the case: How can I make sure it's not?

Motherboard: If the devices have indeed been ruined by plugging them in while the computer is on...isn't this a rare thing? I've never really heard of this before...wouldn't it be fixable? Is there any info/links you could give me on this?

It is a new system that I built, maybe I did the wiring wrong?

Thanks a million,

Astor

14. Ash_11

Ash_11

If you mouse is detected correctly, then I would think that your usb port is not bad, considering that when you plug your gamepad in, windows detects something, it just doesn't know what it is detecting. This usually means that the device was plugged in before the software (which includes the drivers for the device) was installed. Give the above instructions a go ahead on your 98 machine. Install the Logitech gamepad software first (Download the latest version of wingman software), then install the device.

Each VID folder corresponds with a usb device that has been plugged into your computer. read through the entries, until you find your mouse, don't delete that VID folder, or your mouse will stop working again.

also, you may want to download and install the Wingman clear calibration utility. This will strip all gamepad calibrations (both logitch and non logitech devices) that are entered into the registry. Read the read me file for usage and installation instructions:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?p...ID=1&softwareid=5484&countryid=2&languageid=1

15. Astor211

Astor211 Thread Starter

I tried the above instructions. I removed all the entries under USB in the registy except USB root hub.

I installed the device drivers. Then I turned off the computer and plugged in the devices. It booted up and it still came up "unknown device." The Logitech software did not detect any controllers on my computer (even though it was plugged in USB)

I have 2 gamepads (one Logitech one thrustmaster), 1 thrustmaster top gun joystick, and an old logitech optical mouse. I have tried all of them in THREE different computers and none of them worked. The only thing USB item I have working on the computer is a new optical mouse.

Is it possible I ruined the other devices by plugging them in to this new computer?

Why would this USB mouse work but nothing else?

Again, I've tried the devices (gamepads and joystick and old mouse) in two other computers (with drivers installed) besides the new one that is giving me trouble. They came up "unknown device" in those too.

Thanks,

Astor211

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice