1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Usbs Are Working!!!! Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hsriniva, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hsriniva

hsriniva Thread Starter

Help i recently moved my Dell Dimension 2400 Computer from my college apartment back to my parents' home. I have been cleansing the computer of spyware, viruses etc. and I also connected the DSL internet from another computer to this computer through a router. I don't know if its relevant to the problem or not but.....

Now none of my USBS are working! Front and back! I contacted Dell. They told me to download some driver. I did this and it did not work.After doing that, I was told that I needed to replace the motherboard....However, this seems to be an extreme course of action to me considering that the computer didn't get any type of damage during the move and was working just fine a few weeks ago.... I still think this is some type of device driver issue not a hardware one.

Can anyone help? or any suggestions? Do I really need to replace the motherboard?

thanks

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Have you checked the USB connections in case?What in bios is it showing? What does it show in DEVICE manager?

3. hsriniva

hsriniva Thread Starter

Aright so I have tried connecting a few devices including my printer( which it should detect) and also a digital camera. I have also tried two different USB Chords...its not detecting anything.

How do I see the BIOS???

IN device manager...under USB, 3 of the 5 USB Subheadings have an exclamation point near them. I was told by the HP technician through HP tech support chat (my printer is an HP) to uninstall them. I did, but the icons have returned.

Any ideas??

thanks a lot

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

DO you have booklet that came with PC? While booting up {im not sure about DELL] tap Del-or F1 or F2 to get into bios

5. Duckman69

Duckman69

my dell is F12 i think for bios... did you recently format before this happend? possibly with a cd that isnt meant for your specfic cd? or you might have deleted the software accidentally while cleaning the pc with some tools(doubtful but possible) if so you might need to download the usb interface installer for your pc... did you call dell or gateway or whoever and see if you can download the usb interface from there website? you might be able to find it there your self... also as an extreme if you have a windows cd and you didnt already recently format before the problem started... you should try to format after a backup of what you need... again last resort here i would wait to see what others post first... hope i helped some
    ~later

6. hsriniva

hsriniva Thread Starter

Hi I just went to the BIOS Menu

Under Integrated Devices:
    USB EMULATION was ON
    USB Controller was ON
    Network Interface Controller was ON

HOWEVER!!! THE COMPUTER WON'T GO TO WINDOWS NOW!!!!

It is popping up with a blue screen saying Windows was forced to shut down because of "Unmountable_Boot_Volume"!!!

I swear I did not change anything to get this!!!I have to fix this problem before I go to the USBS

thanks please reply asap!!!

7. Duckman69

Duckman69

well if you have to fix it in a hurry cuz your going on vacation and its a family pc... you could always back up all info taht you need by unplugging your hard drive & plugging it in as a secondary drive on another computer then boot up that computer burn your files to cd that you will need... take the drive out & pu back in your comp with an issue & format, im not sure what unmountable boot volume is im gonna give it a google search now and see if i come up with anything & ill let you know in a few minutes if i find anything relevant... were you downloading stuff from untrusted sites before this started? umm... till then im stumped, ill try to post back if i find anything...

8. Duckman69

Duckman69

9. Duckman69

Duckman69

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

11. hsriniva

hsriniva Thread Starter

Duckman69:
    1. I went to the first website you sent me. It seems a little bit confusing...and i'm not sure I want to mess with the things discussed since I am not that technical...

2. I went ot the second website and read it. It asked me to boot the computer with the XP cd. I could not find any CD like that so I downloaded the floppy disk version as it said and put it on 6 disks ( I did this all on my other computer). I then booted my problematic computer with the first disk. The first 4 disks went into setup fine but on the 5th disk I got this error message:

"File ntfs.sys caused an unexpected error (4105) at line 5010 d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c"

and so the setup ended prematurely and I was not able to go the dos prompt and proceed as the website instructed. SO idk what to do now...

3. Also, Where would I use this : "BOOTCFG /rebuild"?

4. I'm sorry I didnt read your first post So to answer your original questions: I did not format before this happened.....I might have accidentally deleted something...it is possible with one of the many spyware protection programs I downloaded. ( I dloaded many as I was told to do so by one of the TSG guys to remove spyware, adaware) I did not try to redownload the USB Interface installer. That was never brought up with the DELL person I spoke to....

But i wanna first fix this problem before I return to the original USB prob

Rich-M:

I am a little hesitent to run a full windows XP Repair install just yet...BUt if it comes down to do that I guess I have to do it

Do you guys suggest taking it to a technican?!!

Thanks !

12. MaidenFan

MaidenFan

Do you have access to your Windows XP install disc, or any recovery discs from Dell? These are usually brown in colour (or at least mine was with my Dell) or holographic gold (if it's an original Microsoft disc).

To recover your Windows XP, boot from the XP Install CD, press R to get to a command prompt and enter these commands, pressing Enter after each:

fixboot

fixmbr

You more than likely need the right USB drivers for your motherboard chipset. Once you're back inside Windows XP, download and install the following drivers:

http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=27&fileid=56457

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are worried that you will lose data, as was suggested connect your hard drive to a different computer and back up your data. Remember data that is not backed up is data you really dont care about.

Next a repair installation of windows done using the instructions linked to by RichM will repair your installation of with out data loss. It is a tried and true method. It is a useful tool. However if the hard drive or another hardware problem exists even this method is not the fix.

There is a question about the Dell. If you are using the preinstalled OS from Dell, I am not sure the directions RichM linked to will work the same. My Dell did not come with an OS Disc. I am not sure how I would do a repair install on a preinstalled OS from Dell unless it came with an OS disc. Any Suggestions RichM?

14. Duckman69

Duckman69

if you ran into taht error with the files you found, you probably put the 4th disk on a corrupt disk you may have formatted to use, or you may have downloaded a corrupt file from the site & need to find a better boot disk site... i didnt check that link posted by maidenfan, but give it a look could prove useful... also you said you cant find a cd like that... you dont have the cd that came with the computer? if not you can always order a cd from your manufacturer, im not sure the cost these days i think i was told once it was like 12$ + shipping for my old dell... and the bootcfg/rebuild is in the same place as the other command listed on site #2 (when you put in the windows repair disks, or windows cd & press r brings you to a dos prompt then you type them in, be sure to keep us posted on what happens & where you find your fix
    ~later

15. hsriniva

hsriniva Thread Starter

Good news guys!!! I fixed it...

This is what I did:

I ended up finding the DELL CD and I booted the pc through that....

AFter that I went throught the process that MaidenFan told me to do. Unforutnately that did not work.

So I went back to the second page that Duckman69 gave me. It asked me to do something similar to what Maidenfan told me to do, but instead put "chkdsk /p" before the "fixboot" line. Unfortunately that also did not work. I then tried the other thing that the site said, which was typing "chkdsk /r". This took a really long time but it actually fixed the problem and I was able to go to Windows!!!

Shortly after that I downloaded the drivers that MaidenFan had mentioned, installed them and now all the USBS are working!!!

Funny thing was I had already downloaded these drivers as directed by the Dell tech support. I just never went to setup!!! I dont know why they didnt tell me to do that....instead they told me i had to replace my motherboard!!!!

Thanks to all of you esp Duckman69 and Maidenfan for taking your time to help me out!!!!

One last question: The "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is displaying in the tray for the printer (as if it is a device that is removed after its usage..and the printer is def not one of those)....it never did this before ...is there a way to get rid of that?

Thanks again!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice