1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No User login screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GentsBabe, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GentsBabe

GentsBabe Thread Starter

I have a Dell laptop that I have tried many times to password but it sort of doesn't work.

The laptop has Windows XP Professional on it, Version 2002 with Service pack 2.

My husband bought it from a buddy at work who's wife wanted a laptop, but then decided she didn't like it. She didn't delete her account so it's still under her name.

I have set up a user account in my name on it and passworded it. When I reboot the laptop, it goes straight into "her" account. I want the screen where it gives me the User names so you have to type my password in order to even access the laptop. It always totally bypasses that screen.

I tried setting up a dummy account and turned on the Guest account and rebooted the laptop. I STILL don't get the User login screen.

I really want this to work because for 1. the laptop is being used only for backing up personal family pictures and I'd really rather be able to password my children out of it and 2. when I go to my girlfriends' house, her mother seems to think she can just help herself to my laptop whenever she feels like it. I'd logged off - it's the only way to get the User login screen - but somehow she managed to bypass it. I KNOW the only way around it is to reboot the laptop, but she swears up and down she just opened the lid and the account was open.

Can someone help me figure out how to get the User login screen on Startup? Please?

Thanks!!

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Go to Start > Run and type: control userpasswords2 in the Run box. In the window that opens check the box next to "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

3. GentsBabe

GentsBabe Thread Starter

Ok, update:

I logged off so that the User login screen was visible. I could see my account with my name that I created with a password. I brought the children to school and checked when I came back. It was still there. I clicked on my name, the box came up to type in my password. I just clicked "Enter" to see what would happen. It put me into the OTHER account even though I had clicked on MY account. I did NOT have to type in my password. What the heck????

4. GentsBabe

GentsBabe Thread Starter

I have that window open, and it has only 2 Users - Administrator and User.... I'm not even listed??? Shouldn't I be automatically listed?

*sighs*

ETA: I looked at the Properties for User and it had my name under Full Name, it just listed User under User Name.

I've rebooted the laptop and I get the login screen and it won't bypass it by hitting Enter!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

I don't suppose you could tell me how to turn the Fast User Switching back on? It wasn't on when I got the laptop. The box is greyed out on the Select logon and logoff option screen, so I can't put a check mark in there. I Enabled it in the Services, but it still won't work?

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yes you should be. But are you sure you created another username for yourself? Can you show me a screen shot of UserPasswords2 and a screen shot of the Normal User Account creation screen from Control Panel.

6. Squashman

The computer was most likely setup to be attached to a domain if it came from a business. Which means Fast User Switching would be disabled.

Check the system properties to see if it still belongs to a Domain.

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

When joined to a domain, you usually can't even see the Fast User switching option.
    The normal User Accounts applet (nusrmgr.cpl) is redirected to control userpasswords2.
    Good idea to check it anyways though.
    Two common reasons for Fast User Switching to be disabled:

1. Not enough Available RAM (must have 120 MB Available)
      See Fast User Switching May Be Unavailable on Systems That Use Shared Video Memory
    2. A 3rd party program has replaced the msGina.dll
      See The Default Windows Logon Interface May Not Appear After Installing Third-Party Program
      The article does say this, but I'd back up the key before deleting it if this is the problem.

HTH

Jerry

8. GentsBabe

GentsBabe Thread Starter

I've already change it, do you still want a snap of it? My puter has "Compaq-Owner" beside Username and nothing else. My Laptop had "User" beside Username and my name beside "Full Name"

Squashman, I went through the Control Panel and into Services and turned the Fast Switching back on... but it won't work?

TheOutcaste, I can see it, but it's greyed out. Not sure what to do. I'll check what you suggest... but it'll have to be a little later on... my son is home sick from school today, so I don't want to spend too much time on the puter.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll check back again maybe tonight after supper.

9. Squashman

OutCaste had another good point. A different Gina. If the computer had a Novell Client installed on it at one time, it may have disabled the fast user switching. Even uninstalling the client doesn't always allow you to re-enable the fast user switching.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/794559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice