1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Valid CDROM Devide drivers selected

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Vermea, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

Long story, basically I tried to boot my PC and there is no OS found, I get inside start moving stuff around and switching slots with my network card and my HDD Controller Card. After a couple hours I finally get it to boot up. (My controller card is really picky about how it's placed....) So anyway, I boot up and am going to backup my HDD on some CD's, and lo and behold, no cd-roms are detected. Well, that's odd because just last night they were there and my only idea is that i jarred something loose so I go in back make sure everyone is in the proper slot and in there well, reboot, and still no CD-ROMs. I used a win98 boot disk to boot into DOS and i Get the following messages

No Valid CDROM device drivers selected.

and

Device Driver not found: 'Banana'

So a few questions come to mind. "What the hell is Banana and how did my device get named that?" and "How do i replace the device driver if it's not showing up on my device list?" So guys, my fate is in your hands. Any suggestions on what to do?

2. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

By the way, I have Win2k Pro. My PC is a gateway but I'd barely call it that anymore. I've switched out so many parts that really the only thing left in it that's a gateway is the motherboard. I've got a P2 400mhz processor with 384mb of RAM. The 2 cd drives are an LG CD-RW and the other one is a Toshiba cd-rom (i think it's toshiba, i think i remember seeing toshiba in the device manager before this) Any other info you need just ask.

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well try pulling the 'banana' (the Toshiba) and any other unneeded (for now) cards. Try moving the LG to another channel (setting the jumper correctly). I don't know what you hope to accomplish with a w98 boot disk.

4. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

Was just trying to get into DOS to see if the drive was recognized in DOS just not in Windows. If that was the case then I woulda known it was a Windows config issue. But you see there's no reason I would have to change the jumpers because I never touched them. Any other ideas?

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Did you try any of my suggestions? If you moved the LG to another channel. as a test, the jumper would need to be in the proper spot if the slave/master relationship changes.

6. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

Ooo sorry, I should read thoroughly next time. So how do I go a bout changing the channel? Just switch the position on the cable?

7. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

I went in and switched the positions of my 2 cd roms and made the slave the master and the master the slave, and still they won't show up. I made sure the cables were in there snugly and that everything was hooked up as it should. But to no avail. Any other ideas.

8. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

Well, I fixed the problem. Apparently when i went in trying to get my harddrive to work again, I changed the IDE to primary and my CD-ROMs are on the secondary. So i just set it back to Both like it was before. I feel like such a moron. Sorry for wasting your time :)

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

So many little things can go wrong with these damn things. Glad you got it sorted out. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice