1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no Variable Speed in Fan on ASRock mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I have an old and noisy PC Iam looking at for a friend, its an old Celeron 2.6Ghz and the fan is going full belt at 3500 rpm, temps are 35'c and the fan is connected to the 3 pins on the motherboard (ASRock P4VM890) with a 3 pin connector (with 3 wires, so all are being used) - the fan speed is reported in BIOS but can not be adjusted at all anywhere.

Could it be the fan is not a Variable Speed type?

or is the Motherboard doesnt support Variable Fan Speeds?

thanks

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Fan type typically doesn't matter. Most likely the motherboard doesn't have variable speed control. I don't recall my motherboards of similar vintage have variable speed control either. At that time, it was a matter of choosing a fan that was quiet.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I looked at the manual for that board and it does not show any type of smart fan. That is a via chipset mb and as such it is a very low end type mb. It is not going to have the options that that you find on an intel chipset board.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just checked the bios updates for that board and it does show an update to hardware monitor so it may be possible after a bios update. Up to you if you want to attempt a bios flash on that board; it may give an option for fan control and it may not. Here is what the bios note says;
    Modify BIOS H/W monitor algorithm.

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys...

I may try the BIOS update but ive a feeling it wont enable it.

Ive told him about the speed controller kit - thanks for that :)

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome.

You do have the option of fitting a quieter fan or heatsink+quieter fan as well.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I didnt know you could get them like that with the Variable Speed knob at the back - and for only £2... he is considering it as he also needs to replace the PSU which is noisier lol...

yep tried speedfan - no joy

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Perhaps he should get some ear muffs instead then. ;)

I just edited my previous post to include 'You do have the option of fitting a quieter fan or heatsink+quieter fan as well.' in case you missed it.

11. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

yeah thanks for that, I think that Variable Fan Speed knob will do the job.. the CPU runs cool enough (well it would at 3500rpm hehe)

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I had a similar control that came with an old AMD socket A heatsink & fan, it was quite noisy at full revs but slowing it down a bit made it much quieter. Hopefully your friend will get the same result.

13. replay

replay

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice