no Variable Speed in Fan on ASRock mobo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paulb100

I have an old and noisy PC Iam looking at for a friend, its an old Celeron 2.6Ghz and the fan is going full belt at 3500 rpm, temps are 35'c and the fan is connected to the 3 pins on the motherboard (ASRock P4VM890) with a 3 pin connector (with 3 wires, so all are being used) - the fan speed is reported in BIOS but can not be adjusted at all anywhere.

Could it be the fan is not a Variable Speed type?

or is the Motherboard doesnt support Variable Fan Speeds?

thanks

Oddba11

Jim
It's My Birthday!
Fan type typically doesn't matter. Most likely the motherboard doesn't have variable speed control. I don't recall my motherboards of similar vintage have variable speed control either. At that time, it was a matter of choosing a fan that was quiet.

crjdriver

I looked at the manual for that board and it does not show any type of smart fan. That is a via chipset mb and as such it is a very low end type mb. It is not going to have the options that that you find on an intel chipset board.

crjdriver

Just checked the bios updates for that board and it does show an update to hardware monitor so it may be possible after a bios update. Up to you if you want to attempt a bios flash on that board; it may give an option for fan control and it may not. Here is what the bios note says;
Modify BIOS H/W monitor algorithm.

paulb100

thanks for the replies guys...

I may try the BIOS update but ive a feeling it wont enable it.

Ive told him about the speed controller kit - thanks for that :)

managed

Allan
You're welcome.

You do have the option of fitting a quieter fan or heatsink+quieter fan as well.

paulb100

You're welcome.
I didnt know you could get them like that with the Variable Speed knob at the back - and for only £2... he is considering it as he also needs to replace the PSU which is noisier lol...

yep tried speedfan - no joy

managed

Allan
I didnt know you could get them like that with the Variable Speed knob at the back - and for only £2... he is considering it as he also needs to replace the PSU which is noisier lol...

yep tried speedfan - no joy
Perhaps he should get some ear muffs instead then. ;)

I just edited my previous post to include 'You do have the option of fitting a quieter fan or heatsink+quieter fan as well.' in case you missed it.

paulb100

yeah thanks for that, I think that Variable Fan Speed knob will do the job.. the CPU runs cool enough (well it would at 3500rpm hehe)

managed

Allan
I had a similar control that came with an old AMD socket A heatsink & fan, it was quite noisy at full revs but slowing it down a bit made it much quieter. Hopefully your friend will get the same result.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online