1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No video driver available?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rx7ah, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rx7ah

rx7ah Thread Starter

Hello. My name is Aubrey.

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion 6870us laptop.

As you can research, this computer came with an nVidia GeForce 8400gs graphics card to accompany Windows Vista. (Ick) I don't say that from a very valid standpoint, for I just find XP much lighter and easier to navigate. Like I'm running the computer, not the other way around.

Well, I used the Vista installed partitioner to segregate a little chunk of my hard drive so that I could put XP onto the computer as well as Vista.

While this was successful, I'm having a miserable time trying to find a driver for this video card. I've tried installing the Vista version, but it starts screaming that I'm retarded and that it's only for Vista (naturally). I know most of the drivers that were used in the Vista format work for XP as well.

I've contacted HP and all they told me was "Oh well you're not supposed to do that, so I'm not going to help you." A bit ridiculous but that's beside the point.

Has anyone done this? I've downloaded a few drivers from Nvidia's website but that's kind of like shooting blind. (The only two logical drivers that it could have been failed to install. One complaining about no Vista, the other that there was no hardware found for that driver).

Any input, doesn't even have to help, is greatly appreciated.

Synopsis: Vista. Partitioned to XP. When in XP everything is choppy. Can't find driver. Thumb up butt?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the NVIDIA site, this XP driver supports NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.13_whql.html

Click the "Products Supported" tab to see the list.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I would've formatted the hard drive and gotten rid of Vista completely and created a single C partition before doing a fresh install of XP.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. rx7ah

rx7ah Thread Starter

I thought the same thing, but when I install, I get this message:

NVIDIA SETUP ERROR
    The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

I haven't changed any of the hardware inside of the laptop, so I'm not positive what to do.

On the side of the box this is the exact list of junk that it says comes on the laptop.

HP Pavilion dv6870us

-Notebook PC
    -AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64 and 512KB=512KB L2 Cache (2.2GHz)
    -15.4" WXGA High- Definition BrightView Widescreen Display
    -320GB (5400 RPM) Hard Drive
    -3072 MB DDR2 SDRAM (2 Dimm)
    -802.11a/b/g/n (draft 802.11n) WLAN & Bluetooth
    -LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+-RW with Double Layer Support
    -6-Cell Lighium-Ion battery
    -HP QuickPlay
    -5-in-1 Digital Media Reader
    -ExpressCard/54 PC Card Slot
    -HP Mobile Remote Control
    -nVidia GeForce 8400M GS with 256MB DDR dedicated graphics memory
    -Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) with Service Pack 1
    -Fingerprint Reader
    -HP Webcam
    -Moblie Stereo Earbud Headphones (1 pair)
    -Expansion Port 3

Anyone? Any help is much appreciated.

Edit: I neglected to mention that I tried the following link, and it neither the Dell nor the HP driver would work.
    http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t51781.html

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The supported list for that driver shows the 8400 GS, but not the 8400M GS, so that may be the reason why the driver won't install.

Maybe someone else can help you. Sorry!

You might try googling GeForce 8400M GS and see what comes up.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice