no video on new computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nzeminski

Hey,
This is my first post, so excuse me if dont supply all the info needed.
I just got all the parts for building my next pc, and when I turn it on I get no video at all.
Not even a boot screen, the monitor just says no signal.
here is what i have:
-Asus A8VE-Deluxe
-ati x800 pci express
-1gb of ram
-160gb sata harddrive
-Antec 400W power supply

A have tried taking everything off and only leaving the video card in, I still get nothing.
Any help would be greatly apriciated. And thanks in advance.

Off the top of my head, I have to ask: Does the CPU fan spin when you turn the power on? Do ANY fans spin, or does the system seem to be DEAD? Are there any glowing LEDs on the front of the case, or on the motherboard, to indicate that you have power from the PSU?

Is there any type of SPEAKER on the motherboard? If you don't have a cheesy little case speaker attached to the motherboard (I keep extras in my toolbox for the housecalls I make for friends), does the motherboard have an integrated piezoelectric speaker on it? With a speaker, you should be able to hear the BIOS beep codes to help you diagnose this... If you didn't remember to attach the speaker, shut down and attach it to the motherboard connector, then boot the system again to see if you can hear a code.

As you realize, we need more details than you've already provided. You mentioned this:

"... have tried taking everything off and only leaving the video card in, I still get nothing..."

I hope you remembered to leave ONE stick of RAM in the system, along with the CPU with heatsink and fan attached and power to the fan...

Try this: Shut EVERYTHING down, and UNPLUG the PSU. Take normal static precautions to avoid damaging any sensitive components; static damage is an EXPENSIVE lesson to learn. Then, reseat ALL connectors; pay CLOSE attention to the PSU connectors that attach to the motherboard. Make sure the large ATX connector is firmly seated all the way from one end to the other; also be sure you've attached any auxiliary connectors from the PSU to the motherboard. If the motherboard has inputs for extra power, the connector is NOT optional; you'll have to find the corresponding cables from the PSU to hook everything up.

Check all the connections, then check them again. Let us know if you have any fans spinning, or if the system appears to be dead. I'll check for your reply when I can to see how you're doing.

Did you clear the bios before the first boot?
Are the jumpers for clearing the bios on the correct pins? (They are normally on the wrong pins on a new mobo to save battery life)

nzeminski

thanks, but no
i found out the problem was my ram
the stick i got was not compatible with my mobo
thanks again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online