1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No video output

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ayla, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ayla

Ayla Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I am hoping you all can help me to troubleshoot an issue. I have two systems here. One is an IBM rebuild that I am afraid to open up because the case would break. Literally. Looking for a new case for it. The other is a home built system that I got about two years ago.

Thursday evening, I turned on the first system to look at it's specs. It was brought to me wiht a modem issue so I wanted to see if it even had a modem installed. As soon as I turned it on, I got something like an "Ann Clist" error which I have never seen before and another error telling me that the system was too unstable and would shut down. I haven't had any video output since then.

The other system had been put away for about a year due to not having a monitor for it. I finally got another monitor and plugged her in. She seemed happy. Turned her back off and set her up. Turned her on the next day to do my defrag and such. No video output.

On this system, I traded out the video cards as well as the RAM and it still did not work. There were no beeps coming from the motherboard at all. I can hear everything spinning up and running such as fans and hard drive.

I have tried different monitors and these montiors do work with other systems. The outlets are giving enough power as I have had other systems plugged in and they work. It shouldn't be a power supply issue as I plug the monitors directly into the power strips and not the back of the systems.

I am really hoping iti s not a system board issue but don't know what it could be at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ayla

2. Ayla

Ayla Thread Starter

Bump?

3. Cosmic

Cosmic

Maybe could be a connector or bad cable that you somehow let remain with the bad system when monitors are swapped and another cable is used. Did you ensure the cables were carried through in the monitor swap?

Other than that really points to the Mobo, about the only thing left.

4. Ayla

Ayla Thread Starter

Yeah, the cables were swapped with the monitors. I really was hoping it would be something other than motherboards. I am sure I could get another system board for mine easily. But this old system....I doubt it.

The way they have that system shoved together, I'm really surprised that it lasted as long as it did. The parts in it take up so much room that they bow the case upward so that there is a huge gap where the top of the case and the bottom are supposed to meet up. Air flow is probably a major issue in there as well. With everything crammed together the way it is, I doubt that the air is circuilating very well.

Oh well. I'll give the bad news to the owner tomorrow. As for the other one, I have a system the kids can use til I fix this one.

Thanks for your input. I was just hoping there might be another issue to look at I guess. :)

Ayla

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!