1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Video Output :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack-o-bytes, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I am having a real difficulty upgrading my old desktop computer. There is no screen output :eek:.

I have bought a second hand "working" ASUS M2N-NVM/S. It is an OEM board that has come from a Packard Bell I-Media <----- That is the motherboard I have.

I have installed it into a case and then fitted one of these CPU's

I then fitted 1GB 800MHz RAM just as a test because I knew that RAM works as it is what is in my other computer now as I type.

I plugged in my screen into the onboard vga slot and turned it on and nothing happened. All the fans on the case and CPU started spinning but there were no beeps or no video on the screen.

I then thought that maybe the onboard graphics had been turned off as it was from someones old gaming machine so I installed a known working Nvidia 9400GT 1GB and turned the PC on. Still there was nothing.

I am now completely confused and don't know what else to try. I tried turning it on without RAM, CPU, and Graphics card to see if I got any beeps but nothing happened.:confused:

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :)
    Thanking in advance
    Jack-O-Bytes.

2. jack-o-bytes

OK I have just reset the CMOS and now without any RAM or Graphics card I still get no video but I get a long beep then a pause then a long beep then a pause then a long beep etc.

3. Megabite

Megabite

sounds like your having fun!

Does it have any rhythm.....like is it 3 long beeps and a break and then 3 long beeps etc??

4. jack-o-bytes

It is just long beeps continuous.

5. jack-o-bytes

I think it is a ram warning and that sounds correct as I haven't got any RAM in at the moment. I will put some in when I have finished watching a tv program on this computer and then get back to you with i. :)

6. Megabite

Megabite

Yes put the Ram in and let us know what happens

7. jack-o-bytes

I am still watching a program at the moment. I have no spare ram so I am switching it between the two computers at the moment.

8. jack-o-bytes

OK so I have tried putting in some ram that I borrowed from a friend. I put it into slot A1 on the motherboard and it just kept beeping. I then put it into slot B1 and it didn't beep but there was still no graphics on the screen. Any idea?

9. jack-o-bytes

Hello, I have included some photos of my set up.

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-NVM/S
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600
    RAM: 800MHz DDR2 (Which I have to take out of my other computer to test setup)

On the included photo there seem to be 3 video outputs (I think) could it be that it is set to output on one of those instead of the VGA that I am trying to use?

Thanks for the help so far. :cool:

Attached Files:

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I think the orange RCA connector may be something other than video, perhaps digital audio? The yellow RCA appears to be for composite video, but you'd probably have to enable that output from within Windows, at least you do for laptops with that or S-video outputs.

11. jack-o-bytes

I have tried plugging the yellow one into the TV and it doesn't work either. Not even a post screen. I am completely confused now.

12. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    That doesn't surprise me. As I said, it probably has to be enabled from within the OS/graphics config.

Have you got a basic PCI video card to try? (Not sure what I/F the one you have tried is.)

13. jack-o-bytes

Thanks for the help by the way,

The only other graphics card I have apart from the PCI-E 9400GT is an old AGP 5700 which won't fit into this motherboard. Any idea what I should try now, I have taken the RAM out and I don't have any I can fit in but surely the motherboard should display something even if there isn't ram? Also I have taken out my PCI sound card in case that one was causing issues.

I have also remembered that I DIDN'T remove the old motherboard drivers. Could this cause an issue?

14. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Motherboard drivers won't matter. You're not even getting that far. You should be able to see the POST, even with no HDD attached at all. With no memory, I'd expect a beep error code of some sort. Can you beg, borrow, steal a plain-Jane PCI video card anywhere?

15. jack-o-bytes

I have to admit I know of no one with a PCI graphics card.
    I am going to summarize what I have done so it is easier to understand.

1) Installed Motherboard (two screws and standoffs missing at the bottem so board is loose but as far as I know not touching the motherboard tray)
    2) Installed an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600. (Not 100% sure it is compatible but I would expect an error beep if not)
    3) Installed 1GB 800MHz into slot A1 (nothing happened got error beep just continuous long beeps)
    4) Installed same RAM chip into socket B1 (nothing happened except the beep went)
    5) Installed RAM and 9400GT PCI-E graphics (Still no output)

All fans are running and I have reset the CMOS just in case it is still trying to apply the old settings.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!