1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Video Output

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mahoopes, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mahoopes

mahoopes Thread Starter

Hello all, I posted the following thread here about two weeks ago, and I have a new question. If the on-board video is bad, would it make sense to try a PCI video card?

mahoopes

Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
    17-Dec-2010, 05:14 PM #1
    No video output
    Hi, I am helping a friend with a 2006 Gateway GT 2555 running Windows XP Media Center. It has no video output at all. The hard drive is working, and I can view its files via a USB/IDE bridge so I know it has power. I have reseated the IDE cable and tried different jumper settings, to no avail. I have tried two monitor cables. One possible clue: the fan turns on and runs loudly as soon as the PC is powered up. Is there anything else I can try before concluding that it is totaled with a bad motherboard or something? Many thanks.
    Register for free to hide this ad!

Elvandil

Moderator with 42,479 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
    17-Dec-2010, 05:29 PM #2
    Graphics card?

mahoopes

Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
    17-Dec-2010, 06:52 PM #3
    No video
    Thanks for your suggestion. I do not see a video card, and from the motherboard documentation, I believe the video is onboard. There is a matchbox-sized plastic device lugged into the MOBO next to the monitor port, but I don't think I know how to test it. The only relevant equipment I have (I think) is a basic multi-meter. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes it would make sense. Are you sure of that model # because Gateway site does not show it...I was looking because you might have a pci-x slot which would give you better video than onboard did whereas pci video card will be worse. You can open the tower and look at it to tell.

3. mahoopes

mahoopes Thread Starter

You are right, the correct model number is GT5220. I see several available slots, so I would appreciate any thoughts on the best one to use. Thank you for your advice.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

That does have a pci-x16 slot so you need to buy a pci-express16 or 2.0 card and actually it will improve your video.

5. mahoopes

mahoopes Thread Starter

Thanks! I will see what Newegg has to offer along those lines.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great keep us posted.

7. mahoopes

mahoopes Thread Starter

OK, I am back to this fun project, having received a new video card (NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS). The first step should have been to disable the onboard graphics, but without monitor output I do not know how to do that. I have searched diligently and without for a user manual for the motherboard that might include a jumper-setting option. The most detailed description of the MOBO is here: http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006136R/4006136Rsp2.shtml

So without disabling the onboard video, which I postulate is bad, I installed the new card in the PCI slot and powered up the PC. No output at all. Are there any other options or am I at the end of the train with this system?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

In most cases most boards default to pci card if there so I would try to reset the bios to default settings. Possibly holding cmos battery out for 5 minutes and then putting it back should do that then try again. Failing that I would agree we are out of options.

9. mahoopes

mahoopes Thread Starter

Yep, I believe I will declare this one dead. Tried removing the battery for a while then reinserting and restarting. Nothing.
    Also located the clear CMOS jumper and moved it from pins 1/2 to pins 2/3 for a while, then returned to original location and restarted. Nothing. I removed the RAM modules one by one and tested. Nothing. I also removed all cards (really just the new video card and the network card) as well as all RAM. My understanding is that this should have caused a string of beeps on startup, but it was silent. I hate to admit defeat but I guess it's time! Thanks so much, Rich-M, for your suggestions. I still learned something!

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah sometimes we have to give up, and this sounds like one of them.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice