1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Video Signal? 256mb ATI Radeon 9800 XT among others.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChronoStrife, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChronoStrife

ChronoStrife Thread Starter

My OS is Windows XP home edition. Pentium 4 3.4ghz. 2gb ram. 256mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 XT gfx card.

Okay, In June '04 I bought a Dell Dimension XPS Gen Series. It remained boxed until mid-August when I finally got a place of my own. After about a full week of using it a problem with the video occured(The monitor started out completely blank after I powered it, and the computer on). After I restarted the computer it went on fine. However everytime after I shut it down later that night, the monitor seems to recieve no signal from the video card, EVER.
    Later my buddy lent me his 128 Rage Pro, that worked the first time I put it into the computer and started it up. But never worked agin(I was left with the blank screen, flashing green light).
    Earlier in Janurary I finished all my troubleshooting with Dell and got a dispatch who replaced the video card, with another of the same exact kind(256mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 XT). It didn't work at first, but then he removed the CMOS Battery and placed it back in and suddenly the monitor was recieving signal just fine. ATleast it was, for about 2 days. Now I'm back in the same spot I was at before.(Again, the blinnking green light and the blank screen)

So basically I can get the stupid thing working when I use an old hunk of junk 64mb nVidia PCI graphics card. But any of the cards I put into the AGP slot(the 128mb RAGE, and both 256mb Radeon's) don't work.

I've tried:
    -3 other monitors(So yeah it's not that)
    -Reseating each of the 3 no longer functioning video cards.
    -Reseating the processor.
    -Reseating the battery.
    -I checked all the cables.(All are connected)
    -I updated to Windows XP SP2.
    -DLed the Catalyst updates for the second Radeon 9800 hundred I used.
    -Reseating the memory.
    -Yelling at it.

If I can't resolve the issue I plan on sending the pile back to Dell. I've also heard certain video cards require a proper mobo. Since the card came standard with the XPS Gen2 I'd imagine it's sufficient(Though if you still want the specific type of mobo I will go and retrieve it). But basically I was wondering if anyone knew what was going wrong?

2. haplo210

haplo210

What drivers are you using> the 5.1s arent too great ive heard. id try to use the 4.12 version or omega's.

I had a similar problem with my sytem, but i dont recommend doing what i did. I replaced all internals in my machine for decent parts and irt works great now, no problems in two months.

But if hyou do return it, get your money back and dont buy a dell....they have one flw..theyer dell. Make good door stops tho. lol. Sorry but really dont like them.

3. ChronoStrife

ChronoStrife Thread Starter

For my original ATI Radeon 9800 I used the default drivers it came with. Since I didn't have the internet I never got a chance to update them. On the second Radeon which I recieved back on Tuesday I immediatley updated to the latest Cat's probably 5.1. I completely uninstalled the ATI drivers. I tried reinstalling them with resource CD but for some odd reason the Setup immediatly closes after 4 seconds(So it's either installing before the blue bar shows up, or closing itself).
    [EDIT] After trying to reinstall the Catalyst drivers, it said the hardware isn't detected, so that's probably why the drivers won't reinstall. So it's kind of like the Radeon GFX Card is invisible to the computer...

In any case, more info about my issue.
    Last night when my bro was trying to work his magic, he ran the computer with both the nVidia in the PCI slot, and the Radeon in the AGP slot at the same time, and saw under the Device Manager in Display Adapters it wasn't detecting any Radeon card, only the nVidia Geforce4.

Could this be due to the Mobo/AGP slot itself being bad and killing video cards? Or do you think something is wrong with the software and the computer is randomly uninstalling driver information?

Thanks for the tip. The only real reasons I got the Dell was because I got a system with the same stats as the Alienware I wanted for a lower price. Its a shame too, since I haven't been able to use the stupid thing. =p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice