1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Video Signal After Changing CPU Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chibahawk, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

Ok so my PC has worked fine for a long time now but I wanted to put a more quiet fan onto my processor. Can't remember the make and model of either but my CPU is nothing too powerful. Maybe 1.6GHz AMD Socket A.

Anyway I put some thermal grease on and put the fan in no problem... however upon turning the PC on - I get no response from my monitor. The video card fan is spinning leading me to believe it's working... Any simple suggestions?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well not much to go on but if the vid card has a fan it's likely it's powered meaning gets it's power from the PSU. The fan could still spin from the BUS power but you may not have plugged the card in so that it has enough power to actually provide a picture.

3. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

Guess so. However I didn't really go near the vid card so I doubt I could've knocked it loose or anything. I'm gonna try to pull it out and put it back in regardless but I think there might be something else.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Go double check hsf is fastened properly, if it isn't the pc will not boot.

5. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

yea im thinking its definitely tight - i know that the clips definitely clicked in-----

quick question

there was a grey square on the bottom of the hsf which i figured was thermal grease... i added even more thermal grease on to this but maybe the first grey square was something that should not have been added on to

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

OK, so if you didn't remove anything else but the hsf and if Rich's solution doesn't work then go a little further with your description. The vid card fan spins but do you hear the normal boot process, drive spinning, etc., just no picture?

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Whoops, typing at the same time, yes you don't want a pad and thermal grease and you only want about a BB size amount of grease at that. Also did you carefully remove all traces of the previous grease?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With the socket A cpus, it is reasonably easy to crack the cpu die when you install the hsf. Extra easy if you did not pull the board.

Go back and reseat ALL connections. It is easy to knock something loose while you are inside the case.

If you still get no post, I would pull the board and R&R the hsf. Give the cpu die a close inspection.

9. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

oooh that could be a problem.. how would i remove the grease that was ON the CPU? can you just scratch that off or how do you go about that? That could def. be the problem

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You just clean it with 99% alcohol.

Did you pull the board to do this or did you attempt doing it in the case?

11. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

did it in this case.. did it careful though..

you would figure that having 2 layers of fresh thermal grease and one uncleaned layer of old grease would mean theres no dissipation right?

12. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

okay so i did the following...

took out the new fan and rubbed down the CPU and fan with 70% alcohol pads.. then I applied a little Arctic Cool grease to the chip and re did the new fan... nothing

So from here I switched out the Video card, nothing.. then I tried a new monitor, nothing..

Then I put back the old fan with some new grease and nothing again.

Really stumped now. I should add that my HDD is booting up and everything does seem normal but the video signal

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Can you try another video card or perhaps onboard video?

14. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

Yea i did try a different video card.. and LCD monitor

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well the only thing left is power supply which could have gone coincidentally, or the mobo.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!