1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No video signal on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dano_61, Feb 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Hello
    I just bought a new PC when I connected it to monitor I am getting no signal, instead of a green light on monitor I am getting a yellow light and a message that says power saving mode, the PC is a HP and the monitor is lenovo, I checked all connections and unplugged everything, the monitor was working with my old PC
    Thanks in advance
    Dan

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

With respect you having been a member since 2004 and with over 1000 posts
    I thought you would know that meaningful assistance is well nigh impossible without knowing vital details
    Does the computer have a graphics card or is it using integrated graphics from the CPU
    If it is using a card is the monitor connected to the actual card as against to the integrated graphics on the I/O plate that is where the keyboard mouse and Ethernet connect

How is the monitor connected to the computer HDMI - VGA - etc
    Because it worked with the old computer does not mean it will work with this if the connections are not correct for the monitor

What is the full model of the HP and the serial number
    What is the full model of the Lenovo monitor

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  3. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Hi Mac
    The monitor is connected via VGA Cable, the PC model is
    HP 7700 ultra slim refurbished serial number MXL 734 03tc
    I did not get any manuals with PC, the Lenovo monitor model number is 1951 PHD , not sure about graphics card
    Thanks for responding
    Dan

4. Macboatmaster

Product page
    https://www.support.hp.com/gb-en/wa...-desktop-pc/3232030/model/3232116?sku=RJ935AA

However due to the age of the product 2007 - it is impossible to know how it is now fitted out
    THIS IS NOT your computer but it is the same model
    s-l640.jpg
    You can see on the lower part that there is a VGA connection - the blue one in the lower centre of the case
    However to the left of that there is the expansion ports - on this image the plate is still in place.
    On your computer is there another graphics connection where those plates are, if so it has an actual graphics card.

I hope you did not pay too much for this computer, as it is really ancient technology - if of course HP has returned the correct details for the serial number

The HP LINK above does not stay on the page - however when the page opens from the link you insert your serial number MXL 73403TC

5. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the back of the PC

6. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the back of the PC IMG_20190223_171202_edit.jpg

7. Macboatmaster

On your image see mine - a copy - selection and arrow showing graphic card connection
    Untitled.png

You have a choice - I think your monitor has a DVI-D connection
    Video input VGA Analog, DVI-D Digital
    https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/migr-73609
    but I am not sure I have the correct monitor

Additionally it is impossible to tell from your image - what that connection is for certain- but I think it is DVI-I
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/221/~/difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d

So you can either establish the connection that I have arrowed and if I am correct that is DVI-I you can connect to your monitor using a DVI-D cable
    Because of the physical difference, you can plug a DVI-D cable into a DVI-I connector but you can't plug a DVI-I cable into a DVI-D connector. ... DVI-D cables can't carry analog signals. A DVI-I cable is wired for both analog and digital video and can work in either mode.

This will help you determine the connection on the computer
    and indeed on your monitor, if I have the wrong monitor

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/dvi.html

Alternatively you can use the integrated graphics but that would require you to take the computer to someone who can connect it, to a monitor using the graphics card and then enter BIOS setup and configure the integrated graphics as the display, but that would not of course be an ideal solution, unless your monitor is NOT the one I have found and your monitor ONLY has VGA connection and even if that is the case you can if the computer connection is DVI-I use a DVI-I to VGA converter - on the computer connection

DVI-I carries analog and digital signals - DVI-D carries only Digital

In short you need to establish from the link I have sent you what the connection is that I have arrowed on my image

8. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Here is a close up of the other cable connection, can you tell me if this a computer issue if it is I am returning it for refund this is the second time I had issues
    I returned one unit already

Attached Files:

9. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Could it be the VGA Cable is bad?

10. Macboatmaster

I thought it was the cable you had used before - when you said it worked

I am signing off - back about 1800 UK time now 0057
    Goodnight

I see you have solved it
    A message as to how would be appreciated
    It will save me posting further details as I only just noticed you had marked solved.

THIS is the connection your graphics card
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMS-59#/media/File:DMS-59.jpg

11. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

Yes it did work before, thanks for your help

12. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dano_61:

In post #1, you said I just bought a new PC.

In post #3, you said the PC model is HP 7700 ultra slim refurbished serial number MXL 734 03tc.

According to that serial number and description, it belongs to THIS HP Compaq dc7700 Ultra-Slim Desktop PC which was purchased new in August 2007.

Are you saying you bought a PC that's 11-1/2 years old? :confused:

---------------------------------------------------------------

13. Macboatmaster

14. dano_61

dano_61 Thread Starter

I must have hit solved in error it is refurbished guts are all new

15. Macboatmaster

dano 61
    After a lot of searching I have found you the answer it is attached to my post 13 - you need the adapter cable mentioned
    The connection on your card is very unusual to find these days and that is why I had to search it

You will NOT get a VGA connection as you have it, with that card in place - even when the card is not connected.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice