1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No WiFi Adapter showing up

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bbgarnett, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hello we got a laptop today for my sister before she goes back to school next week. We got the HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14m-ba0xx We bought it from Microcenter it was an Open Box and I am setting it up or trying to right now and I can't get any WiFi adapter to show up and am using a USB to ethernet adapter to get any internet. I have gone to HP's website and downloaded both WiFi drivers one was an Intel and one was a Realtek and installed them but still nothing shows up in Device Manager or Network Connections. So not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think the 2 xx characters at the end of the model name should be a number, can you find out what it is ?

3. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

on the bottom of the laptop the last 2 characters show dx. But I think I may have figured out the problem. So I restarted the computer and pressed F2 and it brought up an HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI and I went to system Tests and ran a test and it said WiFi Module not installed so I think somehow it is either bad or was not installed from the Factory.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Maybe Microcentre would swap it or give you a refund but if you want to keep it the easiest thing would be to get a Usb wireless adapter, unless she can get by using the Ethernet adapter you already have.

5. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

OK but you agree that my findings or the HP diagnostics scans findings are correct about there being no Wireless Module. Anyways I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say as I am fine with buying a Wireless adapter but really don't want to have to go out the spend extra money on something that should have already been in the first place. Just weird that something like this could have been missed assuming that it's not just faulty and actually not even installed as it says but I guess these things do happen.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I can't be 100% sure but everything points to a faulty or missing wireless adapter. I would tell Microcentre exactly what happened and see what they say.

7. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Well I a not sure what was wrong as I woke up this morning and turned the computer back on and now it has WiFi. An Intel Dual Band WiFi Adapter shows up in the Device Manager and I can see and connect to my WiFi. So not sure why it wasn't showing up at all yesterday and or why the HP diagnostics was showing it as module not installed but now it seems to be working. I mean I installed drivers yesterday and rebooted the PC after every driver install so have no idea what was causing the issue now.

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Look at the top row of the keys and the "Action Keys.
    Look for the shown in the attach image. ActionKeys.PNG

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm guessing windows updated the driver but as long as it's working ... (y)

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Keep an eye on it, by trying it several times a day to see that it is still working.
    Perhaps it is an open box item because the wireless adapter cuts in and out and was returned for that reason.

bbgarnett and TerryNet like this.
  11. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Will do, there is 1 year of warranty on it so all should be good if something does happen to be wrong.

12. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Yeah there is just an airplane mode no WiFi on or off and Airplane mode was off but it seems to be working now so not sure what made it start to work but just glad it is.

13. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Yeah who knows as I manually downloaded and installed the drivers from HP's website and rebooted the PC after each installation and it just would never show up and then boom next morning it did so yeah Who knows as I ran windows update multiple times and it updated the OS and Windows Defender and what not and then I kept updating it until there were no more updates available and it still wasn't working but I guess it's whatever now and will just keep my eye on it.

Thanks for all the responses even though it kind of worked itself out on its own.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    We'll probably never know what really happened but hopefully it will be fine now.

15. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Welp I guess not as it cut out tonight and now again does not show up in Device Manager restarted the PC and it's still not there so looks like I'll be calling them tomorrow and try and get this resolved before she goes back to school on the 15th.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice