1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No WiFi Adapter showing up

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bbgarnett, Aug 5, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, good luck and do let us know how that goes please.

2. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

TLDR: Everything seems to be working.

Well went in this morning and they just had me exchange it for a different device. They had some more of the same units but they were more expensive so my sister picked out a different HP model that wasn't a 2 in 1 but still had a touchscreen and was a 15.6 inch vs 14 inches this new model has a 256GB SSD vs 128GB on the other machine and this model has a built-in ethernet port and a USB Type C port. They offered to let me set it up in store but I just said I'd do it at home. So got it home and set it all up and the first thing I did after Cortana ran her stuff that she does on first boot was check the WiFi and it was there and worked so hopefully all will be well with this machine. I then went and ran Windows update a few times and got it all up to date after that I created an initial System Restore point and then created restore media on a flash drive. I downloaded o&o shutup10 and ran that using all the recommended settings. I ran my Ninite installer and got the apps on there she would want/need and went through and made sure she was running on a local account and not a Microsoft account. I made sure that nothing unnecessary was starting up and removed anything else that I deemed unnecessary such as those dumb games like Candy Crush and other bloatware that I could remove. So Long story short all seems to be well at this time. Hopefully, I didn't overlook anything in getting things set up.

Thanks again for all of your replies

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Looks like you got a better computer there, well done. (y)

4. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Thanks and well, it was 20 bucks more so not too bad and in terms of being better, I guess it's all dependent on what a person values more. Like if you really want a 2 in 1 and want that smaller size or if you'd rather have built-in Ethernet a larger SSD a bigger screen but something that is probably a little bit heavier and can't flip into tent mode or into a tablet-style mode. My sister said she does use the touchscreen a lot but never really used the 2 in 1 functionality of her old machine and so she said it wasn't something that wasn't a deal breaker and she has always preferred smaller sizes but this machine she said she was comfortable with as it wasn't too heavy.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    You're right of course, we all have different tastes in things.

Hopefully she gets good use out of it. The larger screen may seem a bit strange to her at first but it's surprising how quickly we can get used to a particular device and it then becomes 'normal' to us.

You have probably become her 'computer tech' now, good luck !

6. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

well, I always have been so it's nothing new. Same goes for the rest of my family no offense to them. My brother who lives in Colorado me in MN got a computer from his girlfriend and she switched to Mac and so she decided to wipe the machine or well run like a system restore and he said do you know what you're doing and she said yes I've got this in the bag. So he said she ran a system restore or something and it asked her to put in some restore disks/media to grab files or something. Well, she didn't have any disks/media so she just skipped it and gave the computer to my brother and he calls me one day telling me she gave him this computer but nothing is working properly so he is coming back here in August and I will be trying to fix that one. But yeah I am basically tech support for all my immediate family, aunt's and uncles and even some of there friends even if it's super basic stuff they just all seem to be lost. My one brother (I have 4) will even call me and be like can you google search something for me cause he says I am way better and finding things on Google/the internet then him. I mean don't get me wrong I am fine doing these things but just funny some of the things they call me about.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    My brother isn't interested in technical stuff at all, he hasn't got a computer or a mobile/cell phone and he has no intention of getting either. Which is ok by me.

I see a whole spectrum of technical ability here on the forums. it's hard to work out what knowledge posters have at first.

bbgarnett likes this.
  8. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

yeah I mean I know my stuff but I know far less than others. I am ok with doing pretty much anything but if I have a problem that I can't solve I can usually google search to find the answer and fix it, otherwise if not then I usually come here and ask. Then if someone says let's try some things out and here's what you need to do and here are the steps and will see if it fixes your issue I have no problem doing things that might scare others off like going and editing the registry or what have you.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Who dares wins. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice