1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No WiFi Broadcom adapter with IE8

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bericn, Feb 1, 2011.

?

Did this thread help you?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2011.
  1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bericn

bericn Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58, x64 Family 15 Model 104 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1981 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 , 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 144247 MB, Free - 54438 MB; D: Total - 7317 MB, Free - 418 MB; F: Total - 1059 MB, Free - 692 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 30BF, 69.2E, None
    Antivirus: BitDefender Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I have a HP Pavillion tx1210us laptop running Vista Home Premium 32bit.

I was using my WiFi without problems for months with IE8, then suddenly last week I have no WiFi connection. My Network Connection did not list any WiFi adapters. I ran the Network Connection diagnostic program and it said "no wifi adapter recognized or configured" ... or something like that. In the Programs and Features area I list the Broadcom 802.11 Wireless LAN adapter, but the Broadcom 4321 AG 802.11 a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi adapter is missiing in Device Manager. Both my 6TO4 Adapters have yellow triangles w/ !'s inside. All drivers are up to date.
    I tried uninstalling the Broadcom 4321 WiFi adapter and reinstalling it. I removed my Bit Defender antivirus program completely. Nothing fixed it. I restored my computer to a point listed as one week ago which fixed it once for that session, but when I rebooted my computer, I was without the WiFi adapter again. After several system restores to that point even that stopped fixing the problem.
    I finally removed IE8 and returned to IE7...viola...my wireless adapter is again functioning (5.10 driver version now). I tried reinstalling IE8. It worked once ...and then not again, even after several reboots. I uninstalled IE8 again and ....viola..the Broadcom driver reappears and everything works fine.
    Do you have any solution ideas. I mentioned it to Office Depot and he said that, yea, it may work now in IE7, but eventually it will stop because IE7 does not support IPV6 technology.
    What if I upgrade to Windows 7? Could that fix my problem (and can I upgrade to a 64bit version since my computer has 2 core processors? I currently have a 32bit version of Vista Home Premium)

2. Rockn

Rockn

Why would IE7 fix your wireless issue? It makes no sense at all. Why is this a poll anyway?

3. valis

valis Moderator

and IE7 does indeed support ipv6.

4. bericn

bericn Thread Starter

This my first time on. I accidentally took the poll option and I cannot get it off now. All I know is that, reguardless if it makes sense or not, the WiFi adapter works with IE7 and not IE8. So does anyone have some fix suggestions/solutions or not?

5. valis

valis Moderator

are you using proxy settings? does it work with other browsers, such as FF?

Chances are it's a setting somewhere. If it works consistently with IE7 and not IE8, you may have also gotten some malware.

6. bericn

bericn Thread Starter

I do not use proxy settings, it works with FF and all my computer is cleaned of malware and virus scans daily,

7. valis

valis Moderator

odd. The fact that it worked for a long time and then quit points to some update somewhere. Have you updated the broadcom routers firmware?

8. bericn

bericn Thread Starter

What is the broadcom routers firmware?
    Update: I got the driver to work doing a system recovery / windows recovery once , but once again after rebooting the computer, I lost the communication to the driver. I attempted to repeat the recovery, but to no avail this time. It seems when I can get the driver to be to work, the computer learns how to block it. If I try to reinstall the driver, the computer asks if I want to rewrite over the present one, even though it doesn't list it anywhere in Wireless Assistant nor under Device Manager.
    If I upgrade to Windows 7 for Vista Home premium, do you think it will fix the problem?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice