No Wifi connection or setting.

Ravii796

I recently installed windows 8.1 in my laptop and after couple of moths my laptop stops showing wifi icon and couldn't be found in settings, and sometimes when it restarts then automatically connected to my wifi and now the wifi is completely disabled. I don't know how to fix it. Please help me out as I have to connect it always with phone's tethering. 1601035579831.png

plodr

Liz
What OS was on the laptop before you installed 8.1?
There are two possible explanations:
1. The wifi device is not supported in Windows 8.1 or you have not installed the correct driver.
2. The internal wifi hardware device has died.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What is the brand name and model name and model number and serial number of your laptop?
What country was it purchased in?

-------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What OS was on the laptop before you installed 8.1?
There are two possible explanations:
1. The wifi device is not supported in Windows 8.1 or you have not installed the correct driver.
2. The internal wifi hardware device has died.
or 3. You turned of WiFi. Check Device Manager to make sure that you do see it there. If it's not there, then chances are the wifi card is defective.

Ravii796

Its an old laptop from hp, and OS is Intel Pentium Dual Core. Now I am unable to install new drivers from hp website.

Ravii796

What is the brand name and model name and model number and serial number of your laptop?
What country was it purchased in?

-------------------------------------------------
It's from hp(notebook 2000) and was bought in India in 2013, its OS is Intel Pentium Dual Core.

plodr

Liz
OS is Intel Pentium Dual Core
That doesn't make sense.
OS = Operating system. I asked what version of Windows or another oS was on it before you installed Windows 8.1

Intel Pentium duo tells us the computer chip that is in the HP laptop.

Since HP makes hundreds of different models, we still have no idea what hardware is in this 20 year old laptop.
At this point, I suspect Windows 8.1 is not supported on it and that's why the wifi disappeared because there are no drivers to make it operational.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
... in this 20 year old laptop.
7 years ;) There is a HP 2000 model in India, though there are a few versions.

@Ravii796 You should be able to find the Part Number and Serial Number on the bottom of your machine.

I am not sure for your model, but typically HP laptops have a light to indicate wireless on/off switch. White for on and Amber for off/not working. But you need to check Device Manager for any issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts